Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Project Taildragger

15K views 80 replies 30 participants last post by  indykid 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
EDIT:

I had intended to keep this quiet but Indykid correctly guessed what the project was about at post 12, so I may as well go into detail with it...

So, the plan is to strip a Mk1 MX-5 into bits, sell the shit I don't need and cut what's left in half to make a trailer. Something like this...

"BUT WAI?!" I hear you scream.

Simple.

Space. Or the lack thereof. Last time I went to a show (JAE 2011) I had the car chock full of stuff I needed, half of it being piled up on the passenger seat. This is not a good thing given that I want to take Mrs Fish there this year and go on a camping holiday with her sometime this year too.

Crazy? Possibly. A waste of an MX-5? I don't think so, really. It's a little rusty and was going to be stripped anyway. I'm just making use of the chassis/bodywork that would probably have been cubed.

I have a blog set up that will be following progress: Project Taildragger

Parts for sale from the donor car

See less See more
#5 ·
What a waste of time.

#7 ·
Just saw the:

"What?s this all about? Can?t say right now, sorry. All I?ll tell you is that it involves a Mk1 MX-5 and this will be updated as and when something exciting happens."

And thought, what the hell was the point in linking to a blog with fck all on it. Now I just the the link on the right hand side and take it all back.

First I was like

Then I was like

And then I was like

#8 ·
Wazzock

I suspect Lee. has made the exact same mistake. I'm still getting to find my way around the latest version of Wordpress and get the blog tidied up and looking how I want it to.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
And the prize for guessing the project goes to...

Indykid. 12 posts in
. You win *rummages in pockets* half a Werther's Original and a penny I picked up from a field.

Yes, I'm going to build a trailer. Much like this...

Why? Simple reason. Space. Oh, and for shits 'n' giggles. When I went to JAE last year, the boot was chock full of camping gear and the passenger seat full of cameras, coolbox and clothes. This year, I plan to bring Mrs Fish along to the show (and also hope to go on a camping holiday somewhere) and a trailer to carry some shit to free up the passenger seat simply makes sense. Sure, I could buy a basic aluminium trailer and put a tarp over the top of it, but where's the fun in that?

So, the plan at the moment is to strip the car down and sell what I don't need. Once I'm in a position to start chopping stuff up I'll plan out where and what I'm going to cut off/weld on/hit with hammers/swear at. I intend to strip the diff' and halfshafts off but retain the stock subframe and suspension setup figuring it would be far more stable than a leaf spring setup. I had the idea of using the PPF as the tongue for the trailer but I'm not sure how well that will work out.

Oh, and don't worry, the tow bar fitted to Yuki will be one that is easily removable so she won't be permanently adorned with a towbar. The electric hookup will also be hidden for the same reason.

Also, a waste of time? Yeah, because everyone starts a project thread with the work mostly completed.

#17 ·
If you look at that blue one, the lights and wheels seem to be the only original mx5 parts. The bootlid's waaaaaay too long to be standard. The rest looks like glass fibre.

I'd want a box trailer on indespension units. If you retain the subframe, you'll only gain another boot space and a fair bit of weight....which isn't really much use.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
No.

#23 ·
I used to move in Mini circles and first became aware of a trailer made from a car when I saw a feature on one in Mini World. I like the idea and decided to do the same with an MX-5.

#26 ·
...or buy a bigger car?
And where's the fun in that? Answer: there isn't any. Primarily because there isn't a car that's as fun to drive, has more space and can still take the roof off. And even if there is, it'll certainly be outside my arbitrary ?2000 budget. So ner.

#28 ·
Primarily because there isn't a car that's as fun to drive....
As an MX5 pulling a trailer?
I think you're missing the overall point.

I'm making a trailer for the odd occasions I need the luggage space and I'm taking the MX-5. For example, to go to JAE. Sure, I could go out and buy an estate to take up there, or just use Mrs Fish's Fiesta, but what would the point be? I want to take the MX-5 but it lacks the space to take everything I need. The beauty of doing it this way is that I can take the trailer off when I get there and have my fun sports car to potter about in. This is especially the case whilst going on holiday in the '5.

I know I'll be limited to 60mph and towing stuff is boring and tedious, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

#32 ·
Sounds alright this. I helped my mate build his mini trailer.

I like this and the idea of taking it to JAE cause u'll pretty much be guaranteed it'll be the only mx5 trailer there!

We started a vw camper can trailer with my old job but the boss gave up and just cut it up lol.

Best of luck buddy!
Hope u can weld and also,

Food for thought, could u use alloy instead of sheet metal to save rust?

#36 ·
Great idea! You could put just indicators and red bulb stop lights behind the the front indicator/sidelight lense, and have tail lights, reversing lights and fog lights in the popups! (or put the tail lights in the indicator/sides as well). Then it would look just like there was a car driving at you the wrong way (though I suppose you would have to put some triangular reflectors on there somewhere to be properly legal).

#34 ·
Go for it buddy.I've been towing (pardon the pun) with the idea myself for quite a while now.I have a spare mx5 I don't know what to do with.Plenty of reasons to do it..............
1..practical
2..look fab
3..great project
etc
I made my own removeable towbar last year, but still to fit it.

#35 ·
I made my own removeable towbar last year, but still to fit it.
Ooh, nice! Any chance you can post up some pictures of it? I've seen a few different designs kicking about and I'm likely to make my own one rather than buying (assuming I can remember anything about welding!)

#38 ·
I like! I had wondered about putting a BBQ in the front of it but quickly decided it's a bad idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.