Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Monkfish's Fagwagon - Yuki the Eunos

24K views 124 replies 44 participants last post by  jiri.l 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Introduction

After what seems like months of searching (it was actually 4 weeks or so) I finally found a nice MX-5. She's a 1.8 Eunos with 149,000km's on the clock, electric windows and power steering. She drives and handles brilliantly and pulled 136bhp and 114lbs.ft at a Rolling Road day the day after I bought her. The 1.8's should be 130 so I'm happy with that. She's got a cone filter and NGK leads, not sure on plugs though. I think she's got an LSD fitted too as it's quite easy to hang the arse out when it's wet. No major plans at the moment other than tidying her up as the paint is a touch flat in places.

I had been thinking of a name too and, seeing as the number plate gave nothing, I Googlebashed for some Japanese girls names and settled on "Yuki", which translates to 'snow'.

Pictures at Purchase
This is her, literally minutes after getting her home...

Current State

Modifications plans/wish/want list

Swap Jap headunit - DONE!
De-tango indicators - DONE! (02/01/10 - Link to update)
Lowering - DONE! (27/06/10 - Link to update)
Fit oil temp, oil press and water temp gauges - DONE! - (27/06/10 - link to update)
Relocate front numberplate - DONE! Plate isn't relocated, but I've done something with it. (25/07/10 - Link to update)
Tidy up wiper arms - DONE! (25/07/10 - Link to update)
New Mohair roof - DONE! (16/09/10 - Link to update)
Upgrade to Osram Nightbreaker headlight bulbs - DONE! (No picture updates)
Purchase a hard top - DONE! (05/11/10 - Link to update)
Get white LED sidelight/numberplate bulbs (Part done 02/01/10 - Link to update)
Tart up interior - In progress! (25/12/09 - Link to update 1)
Remove raised lettering from all light clusters/lenses - In progress! (31/05/10 - Link to update 1)
De-clutter and deep clean engine bay - In progress! (25/07/10 - Link to update 1)
Rollcage
Fit Bucket seats and harnesses
Wide arches
Nice wheels to fill said arches - I might not change them at present as I have lightweight forged SSR jobbies!
Polybushed all round
Do something with the side reflectors
Have minor rust on arches rubbed back and treated as well as cleaning and undersealing the underside
Duckbill boot spoiler/bootlid
Moar powah! (Probably via a wailing charger. Nom.)

Ooh, and she still needs a damn good polish

Basically, I'm going to turn her into a bit of a track toy come daily driver. Should be entertaining. Updates as and when something happens.

Watch this space!

See less See more
#6 ·
Why, thank you.

It's quite possible you've seen the car elsewhere, I'm active almost daily on *gets fingers out* 5 forums, and registered on countless more.

#11 ·
Haha, that's awesome! I used to watch The Fast Show and I don't remember that sketch.

#10 ·
welcome monkfish.
nice 5 there

#12 ·
I've just updated and tidied the first post and added a bit of an epic wish list.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Whoo! I've done something

I had been watching some black suede gearlever and handbrake gaitors on eBay, and I had them today for Christmas from the parents. I popped outside and fitted them, which was a nice and easy task...

Old

Looking tatty...

New fitted

#14 ·
Nice little motah you've got yourself there.

I like white with black wheels

Ric !!!

Get the floor mats in the washing machine, they come up like new !!!

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cheers gents.

I'm half tempted to take the gaitors off again and have them re-stitched with pink thread rather than red. Not sure on that though. I do have a sticker idea for the number plate surroung that I will be getting done soon, and that's pink.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
...and the car?

UPDATE!

Shock/horror, I've done something else! It's only little, but it all counts...

I decided in my infinite wisdom that today would be the day that I de-tango'd Yuki's sidelights. So, off they came and into the garage with a heat gun. Several hours and a fair amount of cursing later, I refitted them with some nice new bulbs (LED sidelights and Silvatec indicators) courtesy of Halfrauds and I'm happy now. Let's have some de rigueur before and after shots, eh? Be rude not to...

Before

After

Much bettererer. As you can see though, she's rather filthy and in much need of a good wash and polish. I was going to do it this morning but she was frozen over and I gave up before I started (not that I need much excuse to these days!).

Aforementioned new sidelights...

They're Prism 4 LED jobbies in white, although they look a touch blue, especially compared to the headlights...

Ahh well.

#20 ·

Hai there, how's you stranger!

#21 ·
Hai. Fancy seeing you here.

#22 ·
Small world, eh?!

#23 ·
Hi Monkfish,
Nice buy!
I too have a white 5 with black - well, dark gunmetal blue - wheels.
Pics taken in Ogmore by Sea - right?
I recognise the layby as on the road down to the Pelican.
BTW nice choice of the suede.

Clive - originally from the Garw Valey, & now in Pontypridd.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hai! Thanks.

Pics were indeed taken in Ogmore by Sea, done on the day I brought her home. I think I may have seen you a month or so ago waiting at the John Raymond roundabout in Bridgend as I went around it. Was definately a white Mk1 with dark wheels anyway.

#26 ·
Not sure then.

Give me a flash if you see me about though, I'll keep an eye out.

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
I did a woops...

Rear

Front

Camber is exaggerated there because the driveway is on the piss...

...but there is still a touch of positive camber and whatever has bent has pushed the rear of the wheel in giving positive toe as well.

"Hello? Demon Tweaks? Ahh, yes. I'd like to order some new wheels for my MX-5. Do you also have any talent in stock, I seem to have run out."

I've got a wishbone on the way so I'll get that and the mounting bolts replaced as soon as possible. I'll need to check the wheels are bollocksed too. I'm going to weigh them and see how heavy they are, if they're not too bad I might just get the refurbed in Chaste White rather than black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.