Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are lots of people making these already in most designs on the forum, but I like making stuff and saving cash so I am making my own.

I am interested in any feedback on the design and do most people run resistors when using LED lights instead of bulbs (to avoid indicators flashing too fast) if so is 330ohms about right?

The current colour is irrelevant at the moment as I am still working on the shape, but I might also do them a bright colour to be different, as will be plastic. Currently thinking a hexagon paten mesh to fill the gaps.

Once finished I will happily share the DXF files for people to mill or laser cut their own but don't have the time to make them, and wouldn't want to step on the toes of other forum members who have a nice side line in these anyway.

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just about finished. (Still need to glue the lights in place and consider adding a resistor to make indicator flash at original speed, and change screws for black ones). However for about 15minutes work and approx. £10 worth of LED lights and 50ps worth of plastic I think they look ok, and should let in some air and remain road legal.

· Registered
1,746 Posts
good effort - i like to see good homemade solutions though personally I prefer plain to carbon look

· Registered
3,876 Posts
Well done on doing it yourself, think they'd look nicer with different lights though. What plastic did you use and how did you cut it? I was thinking about making something like this out of sheet metal, but I reckon some form of plastic would be better like you've done.

· Sideways is t'only way!
2,211 Posts
I'd be interested in the DXF files and the links to the lights you used if poss.... they look good esp. for the price!

Good work!

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lights are via ebay

They are intended as truck side markers (rather than side lights or LEDs) but work fine (although the orange ones used as indicators required a low value resistor putting across them (parallel) to simulate the load of a traditional bulb to stop them flashing too fast.

They are a good size in my opinion as they have a decent sized reflector on them should be fine for MOTs too.

I used the following ones, but there are lots of options if you search side markers (rather than indicators as I originally searched)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-12v-AMBER-LED-SIDE-MARKER-LIGHT-INDICATOR-LAMP-/170674489724?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27bcfe097c

same seller does clears for side lights too.

As said happy to share DXF files but don't how to attach them to thread? So prob best to PM me with a suitable email address.

Mine were laser cut in 3mm acrylic for the fronts and 2mm thick high impact polystyrene for the mesh bits, as this is what I had off cuts of but alloy would also work if you have a good way of cutting it.

· Sideways is t'only way!
2,211 Posts
You got a link to the clear ones too? Can't find them...

Thanks

· Registered
985 Posts
Buy a can of black tint spray and tint lights/indicator would look much better IMO 👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.