Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after months and months of looking for a decent Mk1 I eventually found one, reasonably tidy and reasonably priced... at a dealers of all places!! This was after some very frustrating long trips looking at really rough cars all over the sodding place.
Well work in progress has been a little slow, I guess I've been enjoying driving it too much

That's now left me with a ton of work to catch up on it which I'm going to have to do mostly outside in the rain now

So really to start there's just a few photos of how it is now plus one or two other little bits.

_DSC1718 by SparkUK2007, on Flickr

_DSC1276 by SparkUK2007, on Flickr

Rear by SparkUK2007, on Flickr

_DSC1727 by SparkUK2007, on Flickr

_DSC1720 by SparkUK2007, on Flickr

_DSC2401 by SparkUK2007, on Flickr

_DSC2403 by SparkUK2007, on Flickr

_DSC2406 by SparkUK2007, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I've not done a lot to it really so far, it came with an MX5Parts type style bar which I changed for a Weapon Brace, decided I wanted to go back to a standard cabin brace or a half cage/rollbar so they'll be up for sale shortly.
The next thing I did was to get rid of the little suspension rattles on the front, one droplink was toast so I put a pair of adjustable links on.

_DSC1812 by SparkUK2007, on Flickr

The next thing I'll probably change will be the wheels. As much as I like the BBS they are a sodding nightmare to clean. I had a set of Compomotive Crosswires on my Manta and swore I'd never have a similar wheel!! Anyway, an Eunos being broken showed up in Wales with these on. I thought they were Rotas or similar from the pictures but then when I got there they were a rather nice set of Hart Hyper Tuners.

P1000647 by SparkUK2007, on Flickr

P1000649 by SparkUK2007, on Flickr

So I've tried them on the car briefly and quite like them so next stop is a refurb and some decent rubber.

DSC00461 by SparkUK2007, on Flickr

·
Registered
47 Posts
looks like a tidy base and I really like the wheels. Can't help think it looked cool on the BBS with a little lowering.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do like the BBS, they look great but I detest cleaning them, it takes ages. It can't sensibly get any lower than that, it touches the floor on speed ramps sometimes as it is plus there'd be no travel at all left.

·
Sideways is t'only way!
2,219 Posts
Looks nice mate, will have to meet up... I'm goin the wirral meet next sat and then the bunch of 5's meet 4th dec if you're about for either of them?

Nice colour, BBS do look nice too but yeah dunno if I could be ar$ed cleaning them either!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think I'll make the Wirral meet as I'm picking a hardtop up from Sheffield but that should be early so you never know, if I'm back in time I'll be there. The Bunch of Fives I'm likely to be at too

·
PANDAfactory
4,833 Posts
One of these and some of this:

..makes cleaning cross-spokes an absolute doddle.

Have the rose-jointed drop links got rubber boots or similar? They'll last literally a week if they haven't and you get road salt on them.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of these and some of this:

..makes cleaning cross-spokes an absolute doddle.

Have the rose-jointed drop links got rubber boots or similar? They'll last literally a week if they haven't and you get road salt on them.
I have a decent brush but it's still a pain and I try not to use wheel cleaner, it always makes me cough!!
You're right about the rod ends though, I really need to stick some boots on them ASAP, I'll have all the wheels off later this week or at the weekend to put some coilovers on it so I should order some boots this evening I think.

·
project... not putting anything on till it's a
592 Posts
although clean wheels by auto glym is an excellent product i thought it best to mentin that if you have anodized wheels try to avoid it, ther is a warning on the back, my friend used it on one of his TE37'and it's all streaky now and wont budge...... so watch out guys !

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
although clean wheels by auto glym is an excellent product i thought it best to mentin that if you have anodized wheels try to avoid it, ther is a warning on the back, my friend used it on one of his TE37'and it's all streaky now and wont budge...... so watch out guys !
Likewise if you get in on a bit of your wheel that has been scuffed, it's pretty aggressive!!!

what suspension have you got to put on?
HSD's, just waiting for them to arrive.
All the bolts have been WD40'd a few times over the last few weeks ready.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
what suspension have you got to put on?
HSD's, just waiting for them to arrive.
All the bolts have been WD40'd a few times over the last few weeks ready.
mmm, nice, not heard too many negs about them.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I approve of this thread!

Get your ass back from Sheffield pronto and get over to the Wirral Meet!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it's been a busy week, frantic, long days at work and trying to potter about on the car too, the coilovers are all on, just need to finalise the rideheight and lock them off. Had to get some new c spanners to get everything set up on them. The new rubber boots are on the drop links (what a fiddly pig they are), just need to refit them and set them again once I'm happy with the rideheight. All the arches have been powerwashed out and scrubbed ready for Dinitrol (liners are out and want powerwashing also) I really need to get my wishbones off for blasting and coating but I need to get the bushes out first. It'd be nice to blast the ARB's but don't know if I want to be without the car for a week again, I'd drive it happily without a rear but could probably do with a front
I'll grab a few photos later if I get home early enough.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts