Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is a 1992 1.6 Eunos thats just come in and unless the heater fan speed selector is turned up to 2 or above it just won't idle properly. If the fan speed is set to 1, it pretty well cuts out. The car also runs like a pig though this feels like it needs new plugs and leads so I'm guessing isn't connected to the first problem...
Any ideas?

·
Registered
364 Posts
This one is a 1992 1.6 Eunos thats just come in and unless the heater fan speed selector is turned up to 2 or above it just won't idle properly. If the fan speed is set to 1, it pretty well cuts out. The car also runs like a pig though this feels like it needs new plugs and leads so I'm guessing isn't connected to the first problem...
Any ideas?
Steve,

Mine has issue when the air con is switch on, revs can drop - believe its a case of getting the carb tuned, others should be able to place some tech detail to this, as for mine I'm taking it to have the carb tuned by an expert !!!

Mike

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
turning the heater up raises my idle - yours is presumably too low for some reason and needs resetting or something cos mine doesn't stall.

do a search for resetting the idle, it's got something to do with paperclips if I remember right.

·
Randomer
8,007 Posts
Carbs:confused: the mx5 has multipoint fuel injection, do you mean the throttle body? or the Idle Speed Control valve?

could be the idle speed is set too low, turning on the aircon/heaters usually raises the idle speed so maybe that's why it runs better when you do this.

have a look on here, there may be something there to help you.

If you think it needs new plugs & leads then it's worth replacing those too as that may be contributing to your problem.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Mine has issue when the air con is switch on, revs can drop - believe its a case of getting the carb tuned, others should be able to place some tech detail to this, as for mine I'm taking it to have the carb tuned by an expert !!!

Mike

The aircon puts a load onto the engine as it has to drive the compressor so the ecu automatically increases the tick over to compansate for this, but if your tickover is already lower than it should be the ecu can`t compensate enough, time for a service i think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts