Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If not the oldest member of this illustrious site, then certainly well up there, I feel great nostalgia for the really 'old fashioned' wire wheels of the sort that I had on assorted MG's and Austin 7 Specials in the 50s and 60s. Not sure how they would look on a Mk2, but I just wondered if there was anyone out there who does have wires fitted to a Mk2 or, alternatively, if there is some software application with which you can image your own vehicle fitted with various styles of wheel. Just a thought!!

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Post a pic of your car & a wire wheel in the Photoshop section & i`m sure someone will oblige so you can see how they will look.

I had wires back in the day on my Spitfires & MGBs & loved them. They look good on a 5 too but i would only want a set as show wheels nowadays with roads being pot hole mine fields!

This will give you an idea

·
Registered
607 Posts
If you get these for the Mk 2's and the Mk 1.8's you will need 5mm spacers and the wheel wights out on the inner edge, as they were only made to fit the early Mk 1 1.6 models then they will not catch the calipers.
M-m

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as looking 'right' is concerned I think it will always boil down to the old 'eye of the beholder' situation in the end, and they certainly look good to me!!
Pity about the price, though!! A grand, Gordon Bennett!! Anyroadup, the fact that I can't afford a set is slightly mitigated by the recollection that they were buggers to clean!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
The early ones that were made for the roadster just bolted on with 4 X long allen key nuts which were only made for the rims per rim.
They were a polished alloy rim with chromed matel spokes and centre, the chroming was ok for the JDM but over here they do not last unless protected in some way, i had a set for many years, which were just used for shows, they are rubbish on motorwars cornering etc, forget any kind of speed while wearing them, to much movement in them and mine were like new.
I have had a fair few sets pass through my hands over the years,they are just a show wheel nothing more than look at me, and they ARE a nightmare to keep clean.
Stick with a good set of alloy's.
M-m

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.