Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been covered already, but i havent seen a thread on it.

I tried to use the rep system a couple of times now (the lil + and - at the bottom of each post)

each time i do however it says ive reached my quota, are there plans to incorporate it or is it just something that is there but wont be used?

just curious mostly

·
Oh, hai!
5,001 Posts

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
rep systems are better on more focused sites. sites with few aims so everyone knows the subject well. Here we have all sorts of users, and some people will vote on what they think they know about when there is a good chance there lacking knowledge on the particular subject.

I myself will be marked down on my technical posts, because of my people skills. The two are totally separate issues, but someone will tell me there vote was because there a woman and can't separate the tech from my poor choice of trainers.

Were just not focused enough...

however, i dont mind either way

edit: reputation for what? thats the problem. Is this persons good rep because he does favours, knows things, has a nice looking car, moderates, looks fit...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i do see your point but then you could put a spin on it and only use the rep system for certain things

i.e. making the rep more specific and focused on what most people think would be the most useful thing to vote people up and down on.

im not too fussed either way, like i said i was just curious as to wether it will be used or not

·
Daddys little soldier!
1,712 Posts
It does get used on another forum I go on (not car orientated). But only if you think the persons contribution to a thread was helpful and they are given in the form of thanks. In the top corner where all the posters info is ie: name, location etc is an addition in where the number of thanks given and thanks recieved is.

So it shows how helpful the person has been and how many people that person has thanked. Not in the form of marking people down though. Only on the positive side.

You soon get the gist of who is helpful and who isn't by the number of thanks they have versus the number of posts and from the date they joined. You don't need to mark people down for what they don't know or if they tend to be abrupt or have bad paople skills.

It does work and you don't need to be a knowall or geek to get thanks. The forum I go on isn't really focussed on it's subject matter, it's quite diverse on what it discusses.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Rep is used heavily on one forum I visit for purely childish purposes and I believe it works well in that sense but in terms of serious usage I can't see it fitting here too well.

There is an ebay style feedback system for IPB on another forum I've used that would work well in the classifieds but I believe it's a lot of work to properly implement.

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
i don't think it would fit very well on here. imho, it should be a measure of validity of technical contribution as there's a lot of misinformed tripe that gets bandied about.

it'd never work like that though since the technical contributors enjoy sarcasm as much as correctness. it'd be a shame to withold the sarcasm to maintain reputation
tom

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
TBH if you hang around for more then a week it is pretty obvious who are the reputable people easily enough.

I can see friendly's point of view too as some of the humor on here can come across as a bit iffy at times but even then don't think we really need a reputation system. Would probably be used by people who just don't like someone to mark them down

That said an ignore button would be really cool so you could just ignore posts by people who you don't find agreeable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.