Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Spinning around
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'll be needing a new daily driver soon so wanted to see what ideas you lot can come up with!

Must haves:
  • space for 3 kids on the back seat
  • reliable
  • fairly quick (0-60 in 6 secs, as a guide)
  • ideal budget is £5-7k but could stretch to £10k if it ticks all the boxes
Nice to haves:
  • suitable as a tow car
  • 4wd (in case I drive to the Alps in the winter)
  • something a bit different / fun to drive
  • tuning potential
On my short list so far:
  • Subaru Forester 2.5XT
  • Mazda 6 MPS
  • RenaultSport Megane 225
  • BMW 130i
Anyone got experience of the above cars or can suggest alternatives? Many thanks.

·
PANDAfactory
4,829 Posts
Will you really get 3 kids in the back of most of those? I had a similar shopping dilemma last year, despite resisting as hard as possible we ended up with an X5.

The age of mine we needed 3 proper car seats though - I guess if yours are older and on booster seats you have more options. Now my 2 oldest are out of proper car seats I've started to eye up RS4 Avants.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I have an A6 Avant 2.7T Quattro, 250bhp/250lbs standard, it always shocks me how fast it is 40mph to 80mph have wondered if its seen a remap at some point, basic remap gives them 300bhp/300lbs, had it about 3 years now and other than expensive (even at independent garage) servicing its been brilliant. Bit thirsty averages 24mpg, i'm in no hurry to replace it, if I did I'd just look at the V8 4.2. Due to peoples fear of massive bills (turbos engine out job, auto box failing) they are dirt cheap pick one up for £2K in perfect condition, save yourself some outlay.

·
Spinning around
3,553 Posts
wouldn't be a comfortable journey for 3 kids in the back of a 1 series. Way too small. Better off with a 330ci. All Audis under steer like there's no tomorrow
Good point. Although most of the journeys would be short (30 mins or so).

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
E46 330d touring.
This. Or a newer version is probably in your price range.

I got some winter tyres for my e46 320d touring, was fine in the only bit of snow we've had this year so far.

It tows well too, so 330d would be better. And fast. And comfy. And spacious. And looks good I think too. Re-maps readily available too. If I had the money I'd look at having my 320d done.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.