Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wanted a mohair who supplies and fits them for a good price? I can get it done in Leicester (heated glass) for just over 500, is this any good?
Max

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've been quoted mohair with heated screen supplied and fitted for ?425 in Kent and I think London suppliers are similar money.

I believe there's a place in Wales that will do them for ?250, but not sure if that's mohair or heated.

Quite a few suppliers advertise on Ebay.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been quoted mohair with heated screen supplied and fitted for ?425 in Kent and I think London suppliers are similar money.

I believe there's a place in Wales that will do them for ?250, but not sure if that's mohair or heated.

Theres a few on ebay, ones at about 300 but I'm a bit scared of fitting it myself...

·
Waiting For The Summer
2,445 Posts
I believe there's a place in Wales that will do them for £250, but not sure if that's mohair or heated.
Jack Smith, Swansea - Mohair,£260 fitted, choice of colours. They cut out your glass screen and stitch/bond it into the new hood.
If you supply your own glass, you'll need about an inch of material all the way round the screen.
Glass and plastic screens have different size holes, so you can't turn up on the day and ask them to just put the glass in instead, if you previously asked for plastic
Great bloke, great quality, fast fitting - 3 hours
Highly recommended A+++ etc

I drove down from South Shields, near Newcastle, for mine. Well worth the trip

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Jack Smiths Swansea. ?260 fitted for Mohair in any colour. If you have a glass screen he will fit it at no extra cost.

Plenty of good feedback on the forums

·
Registered
309 Posts
Phone Jack Smith 01792461022(Swansea)Top guys and good hoods and he will do HRW (if you take one with you)check him out can recc. my Mohair has been on for over 12 months no probs

·
Blue is the colour - not the mood
3,297 Posts
Jack Smith, Swansea - Mohair,?260 fitted, choice of colours. They cut out your glass screen and stitch/bond it into the new hood.
If you supply your own glass, you'll need about an inch of material all the way round the screen.
Glass and plastic screens have different size holes, so you can't turn up on the day and ask them to just put the glass in instead, if you previously asked for plastic

Yeah I drove down from Scotland to Swansea for mine, only difference is they sourced a glass back window for me as well so was ready when I got there.

Agree with quality and service

Michael

·
Registered
634 Posts

Theres a few on ebay, ones at about 300 but I'm a bit scared of fitting it myself...
[/quote]

I got one of the ebay ones, but for my mk2.
Quality is excellent, fits 100% and comes with easy to following fitting instructions.

I, like you, was a bit wary at first of doing it myself, but i read the instructions prior to starting, and made sure i just took my time.
End result, hood fitted by myself with no issues and it looks spot on !!

This is the one i got, from this seller too - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mazda-MX5-Mohair-Hood-Glass-screen-NOT-VINYL_W0QQitemZ110476056093QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item19b8e2d61d

·
Registered
104 Posts
+1 For Jack Smith.

Travelled down from Bedford 400 mile round trip and hung round and helped him fit it quickly so he could finish in time for the rugby. Bloody lovely bloke, likes a good chin wag and will not hesitate to go to him next time it needs doing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Can Jack Smith do the various cable and seal replacements if they're required and do his hoods come with rain rails either side above the doors?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Can Jack Smith do the various cable and seal replacements if they're required and do his hoods come with rain rails either side above the doors?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Jack Smith, Swansea - Mohair,?260 fitted, choice of colours. They cut out your glass screen and stitch/bond it into the new hood.

[/quote]

another hear for this guy

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Yeah I drove down from Scotland to Swansea for mine, only difference is they sourced a glass back window for me as well so was ready when I got there.

Agree with quality and service

Michael
[/quote]

How much did u get it with the window?

(thanks for all the replies guys)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If I wanted a mohair who supplies and fits them for a good price? I can get it done in Leicester (heated glass) for just over 500, is this any good?
Max
I asked Mazmania (Peter Jones) in Knutsford to price match on a Mk1 mohair hood with heated glass screen, and he did me a deal at ?320 including fitting video. It took me 5 hours to fit it, but I'm sure he's correct when he says it takes him 2 and a half and he charges ?100 for fitting.

Fitting it wasn't too hard, although 2 screws were particularly painfully time consuming to undo. And you need sharp drill bits.

The quality of the hood I fitted seems pretty good, although it's so tight my six and half stone wife can't close it.

I digress. ?500 is a little over the top, you could do it for ?180 less if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Another vote for Jack Smiths here too went up in march to get a green hood fitted, arrived at 12 collected the car at 3! That was260 fitted for a green mohair roof with my old window.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts