Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new front plate. I intend to mount it on two brackets which will protrude forward from the join between my front bumper and my front lower chin/lip spoiler.

Hence, I want it to be as small as possible while still being legal. I want it all on one line, using the smaller 64mm size characters as used for motorbikes and lots of imports.

Obviously a Google search turns up loads of companies offering their services, but ALL of them that I have looked at so far, you specify the plate size rather than the character size. I want legal characters with the plate then 'shrunk' around it to the smallest size possible.

Can anyone recommend any suppliers that can do what I'm looking for? Maybe there are even some Nutzers who offer this service?

·
Supreme Overlord of nutzF1
1,691 Posts
Thing is, using smaller font on the front is a grey area anyway; there are tons of imported (and UK spec) MX5s driving round with full-size UK plates so it's difficult to argue that your car has to have import plates on the front. A picky policeman could still do you for it.

That notwithstanding, Craigsplates will do import plates with the 64mm font and smallest legal height of 90mm.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I had a offset front which was just slightly smaller than the 'legal' sized lettering and my brother had a centre mounted front of the same size font.

Standard size font can look a bit weird on a 5 if it isn't on the front of the nose.

in-fact.. if you look at my sig, the picture on the left is a standard size (for 4x4 cars) plate and font, and the one in my avatar is the smaller one which sits better.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Leaving aside the question of what size font you use, you can still trim down the physical plate and be legal if the markings are still visible and it complies with the minimum border space. That's what I did with my "normal" 4x4 style front plate, to minimise the physical size.

·
Engineers Do It Better.
293 Posts
I had a offset front which was just slightly smaller than the 'legal' sized lettering and my brother had a centre mounted front of the same size font.

Standard size font can look a bit weird on a 5 if it isn't on the front of the nose.

in-fact.. if you look at my sig, the picture on the left is a standard size (for 4x4 cars) plate and font, and the one in my avatar is the smaller one which sits better.
A little off topic, but I love the way you've blanked your numberplate but can still see it in the reflection in the water

·
Registered
478 Posts

A little off topic, but I love the way you've blanked your numberplate but can still see it in the reflection in the water

[/quote]

Or the full number plate in the sig... Although interestingly, it looks a different plate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. Seems like a topic a few people are interested in.

I agree it's a bit of a grey area. The car previously had fully legal plates front and rear using the reduced motorcycle size characters. These were BS marked, legal font, all correct sizes, spacing, margins, etc. Just using the motorcycle size characters. I had these on for years with never any complaint from Police or MOT testers.

Now I've had my front bumper repainted so took the opportunity to do away with the nose badge and middle mounted, square-ish, black plastic number plate carrier. For a few years I've wanted to put the plate down below the mouth but didn't want to leave untidy holes in the nose and didn't fancy my own filling/painting skills.

I agree it's a debatable point, that I 'could' have a number plate carrier plinth on the front that would take a full size UK plate. I just want to use the smallest size physically possible with all correct sizes, spacing, margins, etc, using the motorcycle size characters as already used on the back and as used on the front previously. I'm confident that most police won't have a problem with it. If I'm unlucky enough to meet one who does, I may have to stand the cost of a fine, but at least there are no penalty points for this 'offence'.

I'll check out Craigsplates. Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

[/quote]

Haa yeah I know... I got bored at that point so couldn't be parsed to do it!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Try cheapestplate.co.uk, not a great website to navigate and don't trust the image of your plate as accurate, but cheap and no need to send docs post.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Try cheapestplate.co.uk, not a great website to navigate and don't trust the image of your plate as accurate, but cheap and no need to send docs post.
bad link; should be cheapestplates.co.uk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.