Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really should have picked one up a couple of years ago, because now I`m having problems finding one.

Anyone know where I can source a 4.1 Torsen plus shafts for my NA 1.6 Turbo? Preferably one cheaper than 700 quid.....!

· Banish a little rust a day people
5,454 Posts
They aren't rare. People are just hoarding them, mostly because they think they are worth £700 due to a few breakers monopolising the market.... If you can find one for £300-350 get it by all means, if they are all coming up at £400+ you might as well get a Blackline core and swap it into a 4.1 open. The stock torsens have a pretty weak bias ratio as is, and they're nearly all well over 100k miles by now so ought to have the lash and bearings checked anyway.

I'm taking a 4.1 T2 out of my NB shortly as Iv a 3.6 to go in (a 6 speed with 4.1 diff and M62 supercharger basically made 1-3rd unusable. Didn't think it'd be as bad as it is but yeh, don't really want to live with it). I wasn't intending to sell it, but I'll let you know if I change my mind.

Reactions: Zed.

· Registered
2004 MX5 1.8 VVT - M45 / ME221 / RX8 Yellows / AEM X Series / Intercooler / Meister R Zeta CRD's
1 Posts
I gave up trying to find one at a good price and got a 4.1 Fuji from a breakers for £80 instead. Then sent to McNeil Engineering for a rebuild to repair the tabs breaking off problem. Cost about £120.

The diff is spot on and works well on my M45 1.8 vvt mk2.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· layabout
Over-complicated pile of bits that oneday will be fitted to my '91 SilverShItBoX
2,836 Posts
I'd second looking for a Fuji, they are actually an LSD - admittedly a road LSD but an LSD unlike the Torsen (TORque SENsing)

^^Expecting fallout from the torsen fanboi's so Battle-bowler and Flack-jacket on :p

Rich. (I bought a fuji for 99p on ebay🤭)

5,454 Posts
The Fuji is arguably a better performance orientated diff, the only issues with them really are that they are often broken, if that's not an issue i'd entertain getting one. Prices on them on FB have gone mad, people are asking £400 for known broken ones :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: I duno who's stupid enough to be buying them at that (or torsens at £600+) but apparently there are people out there with both thick wallets and heads.

Reactions: TWJC and Zed.

· Registered
2004 MX5 1.8 VVT - M45 / ME221 / RX8 Yellows / AEM X Series / Intercooler / Meister R Zeta CRD's
1 Posts
I managed to get my 4.1 Fuji for a fair price by keeping an eye on the big car breakers who sell on eBay. I saw a Euphonic special edition being broken at Synetic in Doncaster. Bit of research told me they had a Fuji 4.1 diff from factory. The breakers didn’t know and only wanted £80. A quick look through a driveshaft hole on collection confirmed it was still the case

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got click happy last night and bought a 3.6 Torsen with shafts for 450. Everyone seems to want 650 plus these days on ebay. Its going to be paired with a 6 speed.

Not sure if Ive gone for the right ratio or not, its going to have 236 BHP put through it, so I guess the longer gearing will keep me on boost for longer and 1st will actually have a point now....

5,454 Posts
I managed to get my 4.1 Fuji for a fair price by keeping an eye on the big car breakers who sell on eBay. I saw a Euphonic special edition being broken at Synetic in Doncaster. Bit of research told me they had a Fuji 4.1 diff from factory. The breakers didn’t know and only wanted £80. A quick look through a driveshaft hole on collection confirmed it was still the case

£80 is all they should be worth really anyway

Reactions: TWJC and Zed.

5,454 Posts
I got click happy last night and bought a 3.6 Torsen with shafts for 450. Everyone seems to want 650 plus these days on ebay. Its going to be paired with a 6 speed.

Not sure if Ive gone for the right ratio or not, its going to have 236 BHP put through it, so I guess the longer gearing will keep me on boost for longer and 1st will actually have a point now....
Ouch. I just bought a 3.6 for £350.

I think you'll be fine with the ratio. I have 2 cars, both 6 speeds, one with a 4.1 and one with a 3.9. The 4.1 is a silly ratio for the 6 speed with 210hp. The 3.9 car is stock power atm, but it makes a big difference to gearing, it's a track car so not too bothered about it being a bit short as I'm rarely even in 3rd. I think you'll be fine with a 3.6

Reactions: scoob101

5,454 Posts
Thats a bloody good price. Thanks for the feedback. I`m not morbidly obsessed with 0-60 times, and with the 6 inch VLSD currently on the car, i`ve not been on high boost much at all to protect the diff.
It's not, it's just not inflated FB/ebay prices. My 3.9 cost me £200, that was a good price. I've also not paid more than £200 for either 6 speed, but that is a little cheap admittedly and £350 is what id expect to pay for one now.

6", ouch, on borrowed time there. lol.

0-60 is a weird one and one where you are mostly traction limited even at modsted hp levels. 20-80 or 60-80 times are more important, and general usability is a big factor, 4.1 with a 6 speed is just pointless with 200ftlbs form 2k rpm on a supercharger. I was changing gear all the time. My car felt slow but it was because the gearing was so short I was having to use 4th and above for any pulls.

5,454 Posts
Totally, prices just seem to be so over inflated on eBay etc at the moment. Hard to find anything at a fair amount.
Yeh, some bellends are asking £400 for them too! Like sure, GL. lol.

5,454 Posts
I'll be replacing the cv boots on the shafts and the side oil seals and bushes on the diff. Anything else I should buy for the refurb of the diff / shafts??
Nah that should be all. Don't forget a crush washer for the drain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts