Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find somewhere that supplies some LED bulbs, everything is halogen with claims of 100% this and 200% that.

I've only driven this car 5-6x and I'm legit scared to have it out after dark because I can't see a damn thing with these factory candles. MX5parts only seems to sell Halogen and eBay is a minefield.

Any suggestions?

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,306 Posts
Led headlights aren't legal in the UK, hence no one really sells them as there's little demand. They're also the sort of thing you're quite likely to get pulled over for at night.

·
Hiding from the Ayatollah or making Full Metal Jac
1,751 Posts
a good 7" lamp unit like hella or wipac or raybrig .. combined with phillips racing vision or osram nightbreakers will be more than good enough and outperform the original sealed units.. manyfold.

the only LED setup I'd run is a complete unit like a truklites, but it's probably not legal, at least not where I leave.

Reactions: Shadowraven

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Led headlights aren't legal in the UK, hence no one really sells them as there's little demand. They're also the sort of thing you're quite likely to get pulled over for at night.
Oh I was not aware of that. I always assumed modern cars (being modern and all that...) would use the much brighter and efficient LED tech. Bah.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a good 7" lamp unit like hella or wipac or raybrig .. combined with phillips racing vision or osram nightbreakers will be more than good enough and outperform the original sealed units.. manyfold.

the only LED setup I'd run is a complete unit like a truklites, but it's probably not legal, at least not where I leave.
Thanks for your input, I'll look into the brand/items you have listed :).

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,688 Posts
Oh I was not aware of that. I always assumed modern cars (being modern and all that...) would use the much brighter and efficient LED tech. Bah.
New cars do have LED lights, it's retrofitting LEDs into headlights which are type approved for incandescent bulbs that's a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't seem to find somewhere that supplies some LED bulbs, everything is halogen with claims of 100% this and 200% that.

I've only driven this car 5-6x and I'm legit scared to have it out after dark because I can't see a damn thing with these factory candles. MX5parts only seems to sell Halogen and eBay is a minefield.

Any suggestions?
I bought these and i would recommend them to absolutely anybody, cheap and they work fantastic

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
420 Posts
I bought these and i would recommend them to absolutely anybody, cheap and they work fantastic

Have you had them put through an MOT yet? word has it they won't pass MOT even though they are marked and approved.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Worth mentioning that UV damaged/dulled lenses will be a big part of why they are so dim if they are indeed dulled.

If they are, a bit of polishing should sort them out.
Yeah I've cleaned and polished the lights best I can, they look pretty damn brand new. No yellowing or cloudyness. The light level just plain sucks.

Driving on a country road in the pitch black, lucky if I can see 20-30m. In my new corsa I can see for 60-70m easily. I don't intend to drive a lot in the dark but my "fun driving" times outside of track days are going to be after work, so will most likely get caught out in the dark as we come closer to winter.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Pair of these with some nightbreakers is all you need, and check that your wiring is up to scratch and giving the lamps the full voltage

1 - 15 of 15 Posts