Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just test fitted some 5mm spacers with my 17" alloys and I can only get 4.5 full revolutions on the wheel nuts before torquing them up (probably another half turn but not tried that yet as the car is on the axle stands)

How many revolutions would be the minimum required?

Might I need longer studs? If so, where would be the best place to get them?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I think 6 is the recommended for any nut.

Pat...

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Damn, beaten to it.

Pat...

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the sva test wanted 6 full turns.

i'd say you're pushing the realms of safety factors at 4.5 turns. ok in an emergency but not for full time use.
tom
Bugger.

Any idea where I can pick up some longer studs (sounds like a
pick-up-line!)

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
the sva test wanted 6 full turns.

i'd say you're pushing the realms of safety factors at 4.5 turns. ok in an emergency but not for full time use.
tom
Bugger.

Any idea where I can pick up some longer studs (sounds like a
pick-up-line!)
[/quote]
ask robsroadster or try dig out his thread on longer studs. i found some places for him to try but i'm not sure which place he went for.

probably worth knocking a stud out of a front and back hub to check the splines. they can be different dependent on year iirc
tom

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers, I've left a reply on the thread and have the details of mistertee and the place you suggested.

I've sent emails to them asking if they know the requirements, otherwise I'll have to knock the old ones out.

If I do have to knock them out, what and how am I measuring them?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
We had a car at Timed Attack last year and due to a lack of communication and spacers it had the wheel nuts on four turns..... First lap a front wheel came off and it crashed..... Learn by my mistake, the nut needs to have the stud flush.

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Learn by my mistake, the nut needs to have the stud flush.
hahaha. now that's going the other way with safety factors!

a stud diameter's thread engagement is standard practice, or something iro 9 turns.
tom
[/quote]

Without the spacers the nuts don't sit flush as they are really long nuts. I get a good 9-10 turns though.

Just waiting for a reply from those two places now about the longer studs.

One thing I'll have to do is drop the car on the wheels with the spacers, let it settle a bit and make sure the wheels clear the arches, otherwise it'll be a waste of money getting the studs.

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got this reply from mistertee
12mm x 1.5 studs available in 47mm & 63mm lengths with a 13.1mm diameter spline, ?2.50 each plus P & P.
Are they the correct size?

Which length should I go for?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.