Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of changing some of my cars in the next few weeks...

Current fleet (excluding wife's Legacy):

MX5 - Eunos R Ltd Mazda B-spec with supercharger, intercooler, nice red leather, choice of wheels etc, M reg 62k miles

RX-8 - 231PS Red, great to drive 53 plate 51k miles

Impreza WRX Wagon (bugeye) - great in the winter with winter tyres, good for dogs etc 02 plate

Plan is to sell the 5 and one of the other two above and buy something fast, topless but useful for everyday commuting...

Options being considered:

Porsche Boxster - probably S around 2000-02 for up to ?12k
MX5 Mk3 used
MX5 2.0 Sport Tech RC new
SLK 350 Mk2 (probably a bit soft)

What would you do? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one got any comments?

The Scottish OC lot have made various suggestions ranging from TVR Chimera to 350Z roadster...

I looked at a Mk3 on my way home tonight, then got into the RX-8 and drove home over the hills, I have a felling the Mk3 would seem underpowered...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no suggestions but i would quite like the supercharged wee beasty!

good luck with the hunt
MOT next Thursday then I guess it will be on the market... a couple of enquiries already. I will be sad to see it go but time for a change I think

·
Registered
748 Posts
Can I give up 5s???

Just looking for an old email to send someone on here some previously typed details of the car and found I have 3016 sent items mentioning MX5 - sad or what!

Correction that was just the archive, another 432 in the recent sent folder.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go for the Porsche, wee bit expencive to have but so good to drive. Keep Sub for space. Friens looking for 5, what year the B-spec is?
See sig below for full details - 95M

·
4 Speed, 4 Star
2,789 Posts
Considering the RX8 is the most expensive to run, unless your in love with it, that is the most realistic one to sell.

Personally i would get the Porsche, but only because i love them, if your undecided sell the RX8 now and keep the money until you know what you want.

Also if you get a Mk3 i would get the facelifted mk3 on a pre reg, if not a year old - stronger engine, a few refinments e.g the ride height and you will save 3/4 k.... *cough* supercharger the mk1 *cough*

·
少し ロバ
1,989 Posts
We Having just sold a '03 Boxster S I'd have to say if you can afford one go for it, sounds like you've had a few 5's already the Merc.... well it's a Merc

Everything about the Porsche feels so right, perfect weighted and feeling steering, a sublime ride soaking up even big bumps but maintaining perfect body control at all times
, the brakes are unbelievable with so much feel they inspire huge confidence once you get used to the lack of assistance, and make sure you get one with PSE or get an Ottles modified backbox so you can really enjoy the flat 6.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Griffith 500

Old skool - nay mincing!

·
4 Speed, 4 Star
2,789 Posts
Cool cars, the onyl thing that puts me off is the reliability, speak to Mark (OnlyMX5ives) as i think he has owned a few and is very helpful.

·
Ecosse
3,884 Posts
No one got any comments?

The Scottish OC lot have made various suggestions ranging from TVR Chimera to 350Z roadster...

I looked at a Mk3 on my way home tonight, then got into the RX-8 and drove home over the hills, I have a felling the Mk3 would seem underpowered...
Here's one from a former Scottish OC lot-person

Barely run in, sub 20k. Can't think of much else that will be reliable, droptop & quick, that has not already been mentioned.
Don't know your budget though.
http://www.buyyourcar.co.uk/used-car/nissan/350z/mhs_76493_28404.aspx
There are coupes now, (some looking cherished) for around 10K..if you are handy with an angle grinder

·
The nutzer formerly known as Fenix
1,579 Posts
Options Not Mentioned yet.

Audi TT Either 225 or 3.2 V6 DSG
Jag XKR

If it was me though, my head would say Boxster but my heart would say TVR. TVR's do have a reputation for reliability but you've got your impreza as a fallback car.

So i'd go with the wild risky option, because when its working you'll grin like a cheshire cat and when its not you'll still get wood looking at it on the drive lol.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Done it just bought....

2000 Boxster 3.2S with hardtop, in incredible condition owned by a retired headmaster....

now anyone want a SC Mk1? Plus lots of bits that I will list under for sale in the next few days.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Mark, you in this evening (after Dr Who) or tomorrow morning (before the GP), was going to pop down for the hard top brackets, might be interested in the sport alloys, can see if you're in.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.