Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,155 Posts
One for the electricery minded. I have a posh variable bench type and a butane type. Neither of which are hot enough for the fat ignition wires
solder just freezes on contact with the cable. Just not getting enough heat into the copper. The bench jobbie is supposed to be 50w max (though tip is very fine) and the gas one equiviant to 70w (probably is in blow torch mode, but not with the tip). What sort of wattage do proper auto sparks use?

Would this cheapy 40w from Maplin do or will I need to shell out for a 80w?

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
One for the electricery minded. I have a posh variable bench type and a butane type. Neither of which are hot enough for the fat ignition wires
solder just freezes on contact with the cable. Just not getting enough heat into the copper. The bench jobbie is supposed to be 50w max (though tip is very fine) and the gas one equiviant to 70w (probably is in blow torch mode, but not with the tip). What sort of wattage do proper auto sparks use?

Would this cheapy 40w from Maplin do or will I need to shell out for a 80w?
You just need a much fatter tip for whichever soldering iron you choose to use, you don't need a new iron!.

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
I have a cheap soldering iron, its junk! Don't go buying one if all you need is a wider tip, like the flat screwdriver heads.

·
少し ロバ
1,990 Posts
What diameter cable are you trying to solder, 4 - 6mm2?

As above a 50W bench iron with something like a 6mm bent chisel tip should be more than adequate for the job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.