Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi all,

Bought these two amps + wiring from a car boot sale on a bit of a whim yesterday:

They're a JBL GTO4000 2/3/4 channel amp, and a Kicker KX600.1 600W single channel sub amp.

Seemed a bit of a bargain for £15.

Now I'm wondering what on earth to do with them!

My current set up is a fairly cheap sony ipod headunit, sony speakers in doors, and the mx5parts headrest speakers.

I'm planning to replace the door speakers with components, and I'd like to add a sub, probably mounted in the passenger foot well.

Now do I go the whole hog and fit both amps - the JBL powering the doors/headrests, and the kicker for the sub?
Or shall I use the JBL for the doors/sub, HU for headrests, and sell the kicker?
Or some other combination?

I'm not after a stupidly loud system - just something with a bit more bass, and that I can hear at 70ish with the top down.
Is the kicker amp a bit overkill for my needs?

Thanks,

-Skov

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Personally I would forget the subwoofer in the passenger footwell.

Use the JBL for fronts and bass shakers in seats (sell the kicker to fund the bass shakers) and have the headunit run the headrest speakers. Way more then sufficient and infact will actually sound very very good

·
Registered
275 Posts
Personally I would forget the subwoofer in the passenger footwell.

Use the JBL for fronts and bass shakers in seats (sell the kicker to fund the bass shakers) and have the headunit run the headrest speakers. Way more then sufficient and infact will actually sound very very good
Never heard of bass shakers before, sounds like an interesting idea.
Do they actually mount inside the seats?

Are the Aura ones any good?

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I just push them inside between the leather and the foam. Take 10 mins a seat tops to fit and you won't need a subwoofer.

Aura are the ones I prefer, but not the ones with the "fins" the other ones.

·
Registered
275 Posts
LOl you won't regret it

Get rid of the Kicker and you should be quids in overall.
Got the JBL amp and bass shakers installed.

Those bass shakers are really strange, they made me feel sick when I first tried them! Starting to get used to them now though.

I'll hang on to the kicker, as I think it'd still be benefit from a small sub at some point in the future.

The shakers are great for really deep bass, but there's a big gap between them and my tinny door speakers.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I need to check them out at some stage as, with my sub in the boot, I find I have to really crank it (unless the hardtop is on) to get any decent bass in the cabin. Think I'll have to try find someone near me whos I can try out first though before I shell out for them.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
that jbl amp wont control bass shakers propperly. Try the bass amp. You have it there so you might aswell. It will unload the jbl so it stands a chance.

The jbl have a high pass and bass control you can use on the fronts? That would help your 'gap' by increaseing the bass on the amp to ramp up the lower stuff. Also using the high pass to cut out the stuff thats below the gap your trying to fill.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I've used the infinity version of the same amp to run the bass shakers. I am pretty sure it has a LPF on it, they are often used channel 3+4 bridged for a subwoofer.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've used the infinity version of the same amp to run the bass shakers. I am pretty sure it has a LPF on it, they are often used channel 3+4 bridged for a subwoofer.
Yep it's got a selectable LPF/HPF, and is driving the shakers just fine.
I think the system will be a lot better once I've fitted new door speakers and amped them up. Currently I've got some cheap sony coaxials running off the HU.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
oh, ive missunderstood where your at in the install. I need to reposture myself.

You would be better off using the bass amp for your bass. Its seen as probably better than the jbl 6000 for this job. The jbl 4000's not actually rated for bass propperly. In the industry standard tests to find the amps power they cheat bigtime. Most importantly they miss out the most power hungry section of the audio band, The low bass. Not just subsonic but below 30hz. Thus if your setting your shakers for below 50hz its very compromised. The kicker on the other hand has a switchable subsonic filter as its more capable in this area. In fact, its designed with only this job in mind. It will have a much firmer grip on the shakers, Making them move where there told too, no hanging around. A stronger grip on movement is stronger vibration even if there amps were the same power.

im a touch puzzled by the shakers install. I guess there hard up against the seats frame? not in a box of foam where they cant transmit there vibration efficiently. Just thinking like...

This would have the jbl powering just the doors. I think its hpf only works on the front speakers, and the bass control on its rears. Thus you cant hump up the lower mid and bass without driving all the bass through your fronts which limits power. You could perhaps use the hpf for the fronts, boost there volume with the amp, them tame the treble with the headunit. You would really need to try that to see results though.

In any case, I wouldn't use the jbl for shaker duty unless its a poor install anyway. Its just not suited.

useless note: Electronics bods might want to concidder the size of that transformer and the smoothing caps. Its most likely a tip31/32c output stage in common with most basic designs. You can see just what it really is.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Where they are, they are right up against the seat frame and held in very tight through the tension of the leather over it.

Keep in mind the shakers ONLY need 30w as apposed to the 100+ you would want to feed to a subwoofer, the JBL is more then up to the job.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.