Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
12141 - 12150 of 12150 Posts

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,717 Posts
You done yet?
I literally just sent Garath an interim payment for the work so far (which is more than I paid for the car). Totally worth it though. Cutting and welding is done and car's gone for paint.

He sent me a bunch of photos that look like a storyboard of one of their YouTube episodes. The entire offside sill got cut out, from rear arch to drivers footwell. I could tell when I bought it there was a bit of previous monkey business with the rear sill and up inside the front wheel well but the whole lot's new metal now.

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
486 Posts
I literally just sent Garath an interim payment for the work so far (which is more than I paid for the car). Totally worth it though. Cutting and welding is done and car's gone for paint.

He sent me a bunch of photos that look like a storyboard of one of their YouTube episodes. The entire offside sill got cut out, from rear arch to drivers footwell. I could tell when I bought it there was a bit of previous monkey business with the rear sill and up inside the front wheel well but the whole lot's new metal now.
I will definitely be using them then, I've an arch to do on my mk2.

Do you mind asking me how much you expect the final job to have cost per side, including paint?

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,717 Posts
No I don't mind. Sitting down though? Ballpark six grand all in.

Bit more than the usual crusty sills of course. Sills and rear arches, outer and inner, jacking points, front bulkhead down to the floor on the driver's side.

I couldn't work out what had gone wrong in that offside front wheel well but some kind of unpleasantness had been painted over and rust was spreading under that.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I machine polished (first time ever) and waxed the Mk1. Also Johnsons/Milton tabs the mohair roof and treated with protectant.

Roof was a bit streaky this time when i finished. Any suggestions as to how to rectify without washing/treating again?

·
Early Man
3,352 Posts
Started the job of replacing the necessary gubbins to tighten up the wobbly gear stick, only to quickly discover that the upper and lower gators are completely shat. The lower had effectively disintegrated and simply vanished from existence.

·
Early Man
3,352 Posts
A few things.
  • Removed the new soft top I fitted last weekend because the bastard zip is faulty. Exchange hood is on its way.
  • Replaced the utterly knackered door speakers with some nice new ones.
  • Re-fitted the head unit which was just sort of hanging vaguely where it was meant to be. The cage had not been installed properly - not even slightly secured.
  • Replaced the electric window mechanism in passenger door & put in new glass because the old glass had more scratches than a 90's DJ competition. Need to do the drivers side as well.

12141 - 12150 of 12150 Posts