Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,394 Posts
Old news that has been done to death on here already.

·
erk alors el blast from th' past dude
4,480 Posts
This should sort out Mazda's rust issues at least. You won't find a rusty 10 year of fiat, a 10 year old mx5 on the other hand.
would that be because the Fiats have all rusted away? the Strada gained car of the year within three years the shells were rotting around the windscreen A pillar.
the X19 had engine mounts rotting away in a couple of years, the Mirafiori's didnt need to be stolen they just melted away horrible problems that were vested in later models too. You might hope they have sorted those issues but have they? http://www.fiatforum.com/punto-ii/70458-2001-punto-rust-nightmare-beware-people.html

·
finds titles too "mainstream"
5,156 Posts
Newer Fiats don't rust.

Forget the Fiat's of old, from the new Panda onwards reliability and and rust proofing were much improved.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'll vouch for that ISO.
I'm a jap convert partly cos they're so damn reliable. However,I love Italian cars,and had a Panda before my mx5 when we needed a small cheap to run car.
2004 car,and in every respect it was totally as factory body wise still,under the bonnet,under the car,inside arches,I mean everywhere.
100% reliable too.
Great fun to drive for a city car,and thoroughly recommended if its the type of car you're after.

If this project is done right,the thought of an Alfa built by Mazda is irresistible!

·
Dr. Eunos
5,457 Posts
Newer Fiats don't rust.

Forget the Fiat's of old, from the new Panda onwards reliability and and rust proofing were much improved.
Amazingly after typing `1989 Fiat` into ebay, fully expecting the search result to come up as none found, this little beauty reared its non-rusty face, think it might have been enveloped in amber or just lost in the corner of a Fiat showroom for most of its` life...http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a7bb79a35

but then.....

·
Dr. Eunos
5,457 Posts
Indeed, wear-out or just fall-off or break when looked at, or just fail through cheap and generally bad manufacture.
Believe it or not I actually `get` Alfa-Romeo` they are lovely designs and really do feel `special to drive` it is just that they are spectacularly, ludicrously and hilariously unreliable, can be very expensive in terms of depreciation and running costs and personally I find that these qualities are generally regarded as `bad things` when choosing a vehicle to own.

·
5,156 Posts
Sigh I've owned a classic Panda, and I've owned a mk1 Punto, and I've also owned a Grand Punto, and the new Bravo, and believe me there was considerable differences showing the changes in Fiat as time has progressed.

Classic Panda - Amazing fun to drive. Bonnet, and drivers door were rotten, passengers door was part duct tape. Carburettor liked eating bolts, didn't like running when hot, overall unreliable.

Mk1 Punto - Also fantastic fun but not quite in the same way. No rust issues ever except for on the sump, in this case better then a 5 for rust. Electrics were truely dire. Paint not terribly durable prone to fading.

Grande Punto - No rust, a minor with the traction control due to a loose battery terminal and was quickly and easily rectified, 1 very trivial recall that I don't think was really necessary, fun, but not as much as the previous 2.

Bravo (new shape) - No rust, no issues, still looked like a new car after 3yrs, no fun.

·
Spinning around
3,553 Posts
Years ago, I had a Fiat Uno turbo. If I flashed my lights when it was raining the car would stall (discovered this at 80mph on the motorway). And when I opened the door to get in, rather than the interior light coming on the fuel guage needle would go to maximum and then back down to empty when I closed the door.

Great memories of torque steer fun though.

·
Dr. Eunos
5,457 Posts
OK. confession time...... oooh!the shame of it

I used to own a 2 litre twin-cam Fiat 132 which, apart from the rust was a much better car than the equivalent Ford, Audi, Opel, British Leyland, T reg 1979 with `low profile` Pirelli P6 tyres (60 series) and a 5 speed gearbox.

Also when I was 17 I had this actual air-cooled 652cc twin cylinder Fiat 126 (3 spare engines/transmissions, took an hour to swap) and once even had an `endurance race` with a 007 edition 2CV Citroen down the M5 to Exeter and nobody noticed, with a top speed of 62mph why would they? Lol!

·
Registered
17,567 Posts
Indeed, wear-out or just fall-off or break when looked at, or just fail through cheap and generally bad manufacture.
Believe it or not I actually `get` Alfa-Romeo` they are lovely designs and really do feel `special to drive` it is just that they are spectacularly, ludicrously and hilariously unreliable, can be very expensive in terms of depreciation and running costs and personally I find that these qualities are generally regarded as `bad things` when choosing a vehicle to own.
Yes but on the other hand i can go to my grave having ticked off the life box 'i've owned an Alfa'

Life is all about experiences, good and bad...and Clarkson is right in two aspects...firstly Alfa make a car to be as good as it can possibly be....briefly& the other thing is that 'but on those mornings when everything is working perfectly..which one day it will do...there are few better things to drive'

I have experienced both of these things in the last 2 years.

·
Dr. Eunos
5,457 Posts
Yes but on the other hand i can go to my grave having ticked off the life box 'i've owned an Alfa'

Life is all about experiences, good and bad...and Clarkson is right in two aspects...firstly Alfa make a car to be as good as it can possibly be....briefly& the other thing is that 'but on those mornings when everything is working perfectly..which one day it will do...there are few better things to drive'

I have experienced both of these things in the last 2 years.
[/quote]

I totally agree with both you and Clarkson on this, until someone has actually owned an Alfa Romeo they simply cannot ever call themselves a `petrol-head`

·
5,156 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.