Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hi guys was surprised when i got to my car this afternoon normal i get a wet bum if its very wet and very windy! This morning i was welcomed to a wet headlining and slight mould (white mould) beside the roof catches as the pics. The whole roof was soaked. Is there anything i can protect the roof from the outside to stop the water going straight through? i used Meguiar's Convertible & Cabriolet Weatherproofer a few months ago but didn't stop it. Mould is in the first picture beside the roof catch the white spots.

All comments welcome

·
Quantity Surveyor
1,931 Posts
I get this.
I made the mistake of giving my roof a good scrub just before the winter
I havnt seen a dry enough period since to seal it again

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Scotch do some good waterproofing sprays. It will need to be dry though.

Could you get it under a garden tent (at least) and stick a fan heater inside the car for a couple of hours. That should dry it if you help with a hot air gun where heat inside the car is useless. Like over the bars.

You might want to buy a hardtop till the weathers better.

See what the megs has in it. Hopefully not wax. Or your stuck using wax. Like its the 70s.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll take it to my Grans garage and get it dried hopefully dry out by today don't have electricity of anything so just let it dry naturally for a few hours and see if it drys out if not if it stops raining I can keep it here with a hair drier on it. The scotch stuff is that not for shoes and stuff or am I talking about The wrong scotch stuff

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I'm not convinced it's coming through the roof material itself. Plenty of 5's with vinyl roofs and even hardtops suffer the same this time of year, due to leaks past the seals.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Get yourself down to poundland and pick up some damp trap dehumidifiers, I keep a couple behind the passenger seat and they seem to work - much cheapness

(As I stood in the queue at the checkout, I noticed a display of pregnancy tests, two for a pound - would you really trust your future to one of those !?! ) (didn't buy one but thought it might be a fun / controversial secret Santa idea)

·
Registered
403 Posts
I get this mold sometimes too. The best way to get rid of it quickly is to hoover it off. This won't prevent it coming back, but done everytime you wash the car, will keep it at bay.

Alex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.