Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have bought just some 3 weeks ago an MK2.5 (UK RHD). I have never driven an MX-5 before so the whole experience is slightly different from what i have used to (before i was driving a punto and a daily i20).

Since I have an injury I can't drive manuals for a long period of time, thus I have gotten it in an automatic transmission. What I have noticed is that usually when the car has been running for some time, when I am below the 1K RPM is hear a rumbling sound from behind me the driver (RHD). It is quite loud sometimes. But when I am pressing the gas it goes away, and when i release after the needle goes below 1K RPM its back. I tested if the sound persists when switching to N, or L,S instead of D (but the noise still stays. Once I was stopped at a light and it was making that noise and in N i was pressing the gas to avoid hearing the rumbling sound. When I press the gas (even the slightest the sound disappears. When it comes it only comes when I have the car running without the gas (due to traffic) on D gear, or N no gas pressing, or even when stopped.

Often I will not hear it. Sometimes I will. its like 50/50 on the times I use it. Any help with what it could be (I saw in a 2013 post that it could be a heat shield) but honestly no clue if it is the same.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'd start with the heat shield, could also be a bushing potentially. It's hard to diagnose without hearing it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried to make an audio recording, but in one the audio was horrible, and all the other times, i couldn't as I was alone in the car and whenever i stopped to record it, it would go away! :( I am going to keep trying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts