Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Wanted: Complete 1.8 Engine

671 views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Monkfish 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Having priced up the bits needed to fix Yuki's headgasket and a few other odds and sods (£380 worth) plus the labour to do it (£260, taking the total to ~£650), I'm now toying with the option of just pulling the engine myself and putting an unfucked example back in (then either slowly build up the old engine for supercharging later or stripping it for useful bits to sell).

So, I'm in the market for a running and unfucked 1.8 MX-5/Eunos engine. Yuki currently has around 154,000kms on the clock so I'd prefer to get one of similar mileage for simplicities sake, although I'd not turn down one with lower miles. I've had a nose on eBay and some of the prices on there are, quite frankly, rediculous, so I'm hoping someone here would be able to help out.

If anyone is breaking or has broken an MX-5 and has a complete engine, please reply/PM with details/prices etc. Ta.

EDIT:- Click for latest

See less See more
#2 ·
Perhaps you should consider a good Mk2 engine conversion! If I was to replace my engine again that'd be my choice!

#4 ·
I'll take a nose, thanks.

#7 ·
I have an engine here I never got round to overhauling, Never seen it run mind but I was assured it was a good runner when I bought it. Does look to be a little oil seaping out of the crankseals, but I hsve brand new ones here that are genuine mazda, as well as a set of oversized pistons that came out of the engine I built that currently resides in my '5. PM me if interested.

Marti

#8 ·
Indeed still have the 96,000 1.8 engine with gearbox or take out on own and have a loose gearbox in garage too if needed. Or just take out the engine. Missing the camcover, cas(I have another),and throttle body, and coil and leads. If u take it out, ?150, if I get it out, ?250 cos I'll have to pay mate a ton.,and he's already said he can do it for me when I want

#10 ·
Well, here's an extra complication to add to the mix:

In my garage, I have an engine crane and engine stand.
I also have a 190,000 mile 1994 1.8 engine, removed last May as it was using oil (1 litre in 1,500 miles) and getting a bit close to the emissions limit.

If you want the crane & stand, you can have the engine too for ?250 all in. (I'll even strap the engine to a little pallet, which made it a piece of cake for 2 biggish blokes to lift into a hatchback).

No coilpack on the engine BTW, but otherwise it's still dressed: clutch, alternator, proper oil pressure sender, temp sensors, rail & injectors. Cambelt + water pump only 10k miles old.

#12 ·
Mk1 1800 - BP Block, BP Head, BP Cams, BP ECU, Cam Angle Sensor on the back of the rocker cover, Hydraulic tappets, Flat pistons @ CR 9.0:1 - 130bhp new, OBD-I (I think).

98/99/00 Mk2 1800 - BP Block (slight casting difference for the crank sensor on the front), BP4W head, BP4W cams, BP4W ECU, Magnetic cam sensor on front of cam cover and different cam pulleys, crank sensor at crank pulley, Bucket/Shim tappets, Domed pistons @ CR 9.5:1 - 140bhp new, OBD-II diagnostics.

As far as replacing the mechanicals, very straight forward, but you may have a smidge of trouble with the BP4W head, higher CR and BP ECU - Not sure though; I'm sure someone can shed the light here.
Also, you wouldn't be able to use the mk2 Inlet Manifold properly because the BP ECU doesn't incorperate VICS control (VICS is the long/short manifold switch, which is why the mk2 manis are bigger). Mk1 manifold will fit though.

I'm sure it can be done with the right bits and enough patience, but to do it right, you'd need the ECU, some of the wiring loom etc. and all of a sudden it gets faffy and expensive. I'd stick to a mk1 engine if you just wanna make it work. For the extra 10bhp? IMO, not worth the arse-ache!

#17 ·
As far as replacing the mechanicals, very straight forward, but you may have a smidge of trouble with the BP4W head, higher CR and BP ECU - Not sure though; I'm sure someone can shed the light here.
Also, you wouldn't be able to use the mk2 Inlet Manifold properly because the BP ECU doesn't incorperate VICS control (VICS is the long/short manifold switch, which is why the mk2 manis are bigger). Mk1 manifold will fit though.
The mark 1 manifold will not fit straight on to the mark 2 head, they can be made to fit but you have to weld a additional strip of alloy to bottom of the flange and re drill to suit the mark 2 head, better to just fit the mark 2 manifold and lock the vics open or shut however you like.
Better still fit a rpm switch and use that to operate the vics, no need to change the ecu.

Oh and good price on the engine Ron

Michael

#13 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. After chatting with some mates, parents and my local MX-5 friendly garage, I've decided to opt for repairing the engine I have now. Better the devil you know and all that. I'd rather take my chances paying someone to pull the engine apart and have it fixed properly as I dont have the facilities or experience to do it myself.

I have been out on the driveway spannering her today (it's a great hangover cure, even if I did break her more!) and I noticed water dripping through the undertray and it appearst to be coming from the front of the engine. The alternator belt squeals on startup too and after looking at my bible, I think the water pump is leaking and/or fucked completely, which caused the coolant loss, subsequent overheat and HG borking.

#15 ·
After recent postings (and me being a fickle twat) I've decided that swapping the engine is probably my best bet. That and I have assistance on hand to do the swap which I didn't have before.

How much bigger than stock are they, and do you still have them?

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
BUMP

Anyone else got a 1.8 engine? tattoo-ron has gone strangely quiet over the last week despite two chase PMs enquiring about the engine and a new parts-for-sale topic opened up a day or so ago.

I still need an engine and I'll be needing one soon, Yuki is using coolant faster than fuel at present.

#19 ·
I have a complete 1.8 VVT from a 2004. Can supply ecu/loom and 6 sp box with prop (but no diff or driveshafts) too if wanted. But it won't be as cheap as the numbers you talked of above, sorry. It had 54,000 on the clock. Perhaps more of an upgrade than you intend but contact me if you want to discuss further.

#21 ·
still got the engime mate, didnt post it up cos i know you had interest in it, but it isnt out,and didnt come out the weekend it should of,due to weather..i have to await when my mate can get it out ,and i dont know when thatll be now.
Ahh, ok. Keep me posted then. For the moment I'm looking to cure the coolant leak as she still starts and runs fine and there is no sign of oil/water mixing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.