Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,056 Posts
As above really, IMO, just take it to the mx5restorer or mark at Totalmx5 repair, pay the money and move on. They are the only two I've seen care enough to do the work properly.

Reactions: Theo86

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for your help folks. Bought the car this evening. Sills and arches couldn't be more solid - both replaced and protected a few years back.

Just need to key a new Cobra key fob replacement as the current one is a bit of a mess - any guidance on this appreciated :)

·
layabout
2,387 Posts
Just need to key a new Cobra key fob replacement as the current one is a bit of a mess - any guidance on this appreciated :)

remove it, old alarms & immobilisers can cause all manner of problems - fit a new one if needed but forget old installs...

the cynic in me asks if there is a previous owner with the 'other' fob :unsure:

Rich.

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
139 Posts
Thanks for your help folks. Bought the car this evening. Sills and arches couldn't be more solid - both replaced and protected a few years back.

Do you mind if I ask a ball park on how much the car is worth... I have been thinking about an NBFL myself but prices are all over the place.
'Already sorted' cars worry me a bit without proof of where/who sorted. I've already had fun twice with cars that were previously 'done' only to find out that more damage was caused that fixed in the long run

·
5,056 Posts
NBFLs are OP, get one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Do you mind if I ask a ball park on how much the car is worth... I have been thinking about an NBFL myself but prices are all over the place.
'Already sorted' cars worry me a bit without proof of where/who sorted. I've already had fun twice with cars that were previously 'done' only to find out that more damage was caused that fixed in the long run
A car is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it! I think someone mentioned earlier on this thread, anywhere north of £2.5k you'd expect it to be pretty sorted with no fear of big bills for a while.

Even though the car I've bought was looked after well on the whole, theres some work that needs doing, there always will be unless you buy a pristine professionally nose-to-tail restored example, but that seems like no fun to me! As you say, often when sills/arches etc. have been done, they haven't been done great. Mine is an example of this and I'm looking into options to get them sorted out proper. They're very solid, but not pretty in places!

:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
As above really, IMO, just take it to the mx5restorer or mark at Totalmx5 repair, pay the money and move on. They are the only two I've seen care enough to do the work properly.
I'm looking for someone to do mine, anyone worth contacting further north?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
5,056 Posts

Not that I know of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Unfortunately it seems not, the best are down south. There's MX5 City in Yorkshire but to me it looks very expensive for what it is (between £1k and £1.8k a side and they use Waxoyl). Going by the receipts, they did the previous repairs on my car's sills in 2014 and I'd expect better if I'm honest.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts