Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Aging boy racer
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I'm sold on the 14s - the trip up to work settled it! :D

I really can't put my finger on it, but as others have said before, the ride just seems lighter and more composed, and going over bumps/potholes doesn't elicit the noisy protest from the suspension that it did previously. The only downside is purely visual - the Enkeis have the standard offset whereas the old TSWs are ET35, which looks just a little more purposeful. I suppose I could always fit spacers, lol!

It was always my intention to put this set of Enkeis on Little Blue, but if I did I'd want something of a similar weight. I'm toying with the idea of looking for a set of original Speedlines. They don't seem to come up very often and are usually described as "very rare" i.e. "very expensive"! I'd be interested to know what they weigh, as that would be a major factor in whether or not I pursued the idea with any vigour.....

Looking forward to the weekend, now, when my better half can see what she thinks of the improvement in ride comfort :)

·
Internationally Unrenowned
2,218 Posts
I've looked at spacers too. The only issue is that the minimum size bolt-ons that clear the OEM studs are 25mm. If you want smaller then you need shortened studs, which is a bit of a faff.

I did consider the 25mm ones from Freaky Parts, just not sure how the OEM 14s would look that wide!

·
Aging boy racer
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I think 10mm spacers would be the maximum with OEM 14s, anything wider would probably look a bit daft simply because they're only 6J (or 5.5J if they're Daisies!).

But as you say, anything less than 25mm would be a right faff because of the wheel studs. I reckon its a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

·
Aging boy racer
408 Posts
Bizarrely, not one but two sets of Harvard Speedline wheels have turned up on eBay!

Having messaged both vendors, the weight of the wheel/tyre combo is 15.2kg when fitted with a 185/65R14 tyre.

I weighed the Enkeis with tyres, which were 11.2kg, so the Harvard OEM Speedlines are fully 4kg heavier than the Enkeis.

They may be original, but I think I'll pass, and keep saving for a set of those rather lovely RPF1s :yes:

·
Aging boy racer
408 Posts
So today I managed to find a small window of opportunity this afternoon to make the long-awaited change-over of Mitzi's wiper arms, and fit new blades.

In twenty minutes, we went from this:

IMG-20170819-180146430.jpg

To this:

IMG-20170819-182943322.jpg

I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but it hasn't really effected the wondrous transformation that I had hoped for. It has, however, rectified something that was obviously grotty, and the improvement is one that works because it's not noticeable.

Result, then, methinks!
smile.png

·
Internationally Unrenowned
2,218 Posts
Looks much better, it's the little touches that count ;)

·
Aging boy racer
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I can't believe it's almost eighteen months since my last post!

Not much has happened, although Mitzi did spend a couple of months sans MOT for no real reason. However, an enforced lacked of other transport meant a swift trip to the tester followed by a new ticket. Advisories were the dreaded sills, however, and a mystery oil drip which seems to emanate from the power steering fluid return hose.

I won't say I'd lost interest in her, rather, my focus has been elsewhere, but I'm pleased to say that with her new MOT, interest has been renewed.

Cheers for now!

·
Aging boy racer
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Almost two and a half years on, and in a new home. Mitzi's MOT expired in January 2020, and she's been sat in the garage gathering dust, just occasionally being woken from her slumber with a quick start-up.

Time has come to wake her.

A new MOT is booked for next Wednesday, and as she's been garaged I'm hopeful that the tin-worm hasn't progressed. If so, I can start to think about doing all the bits and pieces that need doing.

It'll be great to get back behind Mitzi's wheel again!

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I'm also thinking that I'd like to add a roll bar, a proper one such as GCFabrications, and once again I'm wondering how to sort out the induction side of the engine.....can of worms!

Cheers,
Mark
Will you go for some form of 'typhoon' style induction? Or something else?

·
Aging boy racer
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I

I'm also thinking that I'd like to add a roll bar, a proper one such as GCFabrications, and once again I'm wondering how to sort out the induction side of the engine.....can of worms!

Cheers,
Mark
Will you go for some form of 'typhoon' style induction? Or something else?
I really don't know - that's the sort of arrangement I'd like, neat and simple - but as far as I'm aware the Typhoon type kits aren't suitable for the NA. The big issue is getting cool air to the filter, of course. I'd like to be able to fit a shock tower brace, and combining the two on an NA is a bit like searching for the holy grail, isn't it?

Cheers,

Mark

·
Aging boy racer
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Well, she scraped through MOT - all good apart from the dreaded sills :( so I can look forward to some considerable outlay there. There's also a little matter of a leaky power steering hose - it's on the low pressure return side, so I just need to get on a do it!

On the matter of sill repairs, can anyone recommend somewhere in the north Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire/South Yorkshire area that really does do a decent job?

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Well, she scraped through MOT - all good apart from the dreaded sills :( so I can look forward to some considerable outlay there. There's also a little matter of a leaky power steering hose - it's on the low pressure return side, so I just need to get on a do it!

On the matter of sill repairs, can anyone recommend somewhere in the north Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire/South Yorkshire area that really does do a decent job?

Cheers,
Mark
Congratulations. Mines ready for its mot, little jobs required now done, it should be ok, though I'm a little worried about emissions!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts