Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, its the 3rd day of driving my mk1, and its decided to no longer let me in (or out for that matter) of the drivers door. NOT AMUSED!

Can i get the door card off with door shut, and what do i need to look for? feels like the door opening spring is missing, the handle is very floppy. The lock works fine, but the door wont open.

Help appreciated!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes, its the 3rd day of driving my mk1, and its decided to no longer let me in (or out for that matter) of the drivers door. NOT AMUSED!

Can i get the door card off with door shut, and what do i need to look for? feels like the door opening spring is missing, the handle is very floppy. The lock works fine, but the door wont open.

Help appreciated!!!
bad luck, u can just about the door card off with the door shut, just requires a bit of fiddling! try putting the key in the lock and twist to unlock and pull the handle at the same time! see if that works..

mine use to do that in the cold weather but i just locked it again and unlocked it a few times and then the handle came back and opened!

im pretty sure some of the guys said u can take the door card off from the inside! its just on poppers once the handle and window handle(if applicable) are off!!

hope u get it sorted mate!

cheers

tom

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
There is a small spring on the internal lock mechanism. This snaps with corrosion, which then renders your door handles useless. If you spray the inside of the lock barrell with WD40, then turn the key backwards and forwards, (Locking and Un-Locking) do this fast, but not so hard that you risk breaking the key! If you are lucky - they lock will catch and unlock. If this happens, you can open the door, remove the panel and locate where the spring should go. It not easy to locate but I'm sure there is a piccy on here somewhere. It took me about 10 mins of doing this for it to work so be patient. It hurt's the wrist after a while (Said the wife) but it does work. Failing this, it's down to removing the panel with the seat in the way. Good luck.

(Do not flood the lock with WD40, just enough to add a lubricant) This method works on friction of the lock pinging the catch open.

·
Diamond
886 Posts
There is a small spring on the internal lock mechanism. This snaps with corrosion, which then renders your door handles useless. If you spray the inside of the lock barrell with WD40, then turn the key backwards and forwards, (Locking and Un-Locking) do this fast, but not so hard that you risk breaking the key! If you are lucky - they lock will catch and unlock. If this happens, you can open the door, remove the panel and locate where the spring should go. It not easy to locate but I'm sure there is a piccy on here somewhere. It took me about 10 mins of doing this for it to work so be patient. It hurt's the wrist after a while (Said the wife) but it does work. Failing this, it's down to removing the panel with the seat in the way. Good luck.

(Do not flood the lock with WD40, just enough to add a lubricant) This method works on friction of the lock pinging the catch open.
As said, Mx5 parts do replacement springs, fiddly job.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I have a box of springs, pm your address and i'll chuck a couple in the post, its a common problem..

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips, i've only just been able to get back on t'internet tonight (been out driving all day
and clambering over the centre console to get out of passenger side
)

I've done the WD40 trick as the lock was stiff previously, it seemed to sort the problem out, but the outside handle has no resistance at all now.

I'll try again tomorrow, if it doesnt work, i'll fiddle with the door card and see whats what (once ive got the bugger off).

Leccy windows painfully slow so perfect time to re grease etc (every cloud, and all that).

I'll report back with my findings!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the door decided to open after a few attempts (unlock and open at same time, good tip Tazz
)

So, door card off, torch out, mechanism seems to work fine, so i've WD40'd it. Havnet had the balls to put it all back together yet. Off to get some grease for the window runners whilst door card is off.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Make sure the spring is there or you will get stuck again. The catch does sometimes work without the spring but it will only get worse.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the windows work better!

The door handle is better, but tempremental. The spring is still there, so im not really sure what is causing the problem
. Everything looked very dry so gave it a squirt with WD40, maybe i should have squirted it with the grease spray i used for the windows...

Will see how it goes I guess!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ur probably better off with something like chain lube for bikes. WD40 is not a lube, it's a de-greaser. (though it may seem like one when you get some on your fingers)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ur probably better off with something like chain lube for bikes. WD40 is not a lube, it's a de-greaser. (though it may seem like one when you get some on your fingers)
Halfords will love me
i'll have another crack at it in the near future.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd be very surprised if its not the spring in the door lock mechanism. You may still have part of the spring there but it will probably have snapped and the rest will be in the bottom of the door somewhere. If you don't believe us then remove the passenger door card and check to see that they are both the same. There's a good guide either on here or on the owners club website that has extensive detail and pics too

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd be very surprised if its not the spring in the door lock mechanism. You may still have part of the spring there but it will probably have snapped and the rest will be in the bottom of the door somewhere. If you don't believe us then remove the passenger door card and check to see that they are both the same. There's a good guide either on here or on the owners club website that has extensive detail and pics too
Took a pic while i was in there, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The spring on the door locking mechanism? now do you mean just by the black lock that you slide from the inside, which is connected to the rod, or do you mean in the depths of the door somewhere below where my pic is showing? the spring by the black lock that you slide is most definately all in tact, looks as good as new.

Ta.

·
Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,393 Posts
The spring on the door locking mechanism? now do you mean just by the black lock that you slide from the inside, which is connected to the rod, or do you mean in the depths of the door somewhere below where my pic is showing?
The spring that has probably failed is in the latch mechanism in the rearmost part of the door. The key barrel and the internal handle are just remote levers to unlatch the door. After you have removed the door card and waterproof membrane from the driver's door look inside the door, to the right.

What you probably need to replace is the short tension spring shown in this photo:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah, i see, thanks niggle, i'll look at that when i get chance to get the door card off again. I cant remember down there, though i did have a look & everything seemed to be moving fine.

Thanks for the help, i'm learning slowly!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts