Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

941 - 945 of 945 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #941 ·
Great stuff! My bog standard NA is in a similar situation, although I've run her from time to time. MOT on Wednesday, fingers crossed the sills haven't got any worse.....

Cheers,
Mark
Mine used to get run every few months, but last year I got stuck abroad because of the pandemic situation so it was rather extended! Surprised it fired up on first turn and the tyres had lost virtually no pressure even! The main thing I worry about with the MOT is emissions. I jsut wonder how all that sitting about may have affected things. It may be nothing but.....

·
Aging boy racer
408 Posts
Great stuff! My bog standard NA is in a similar situation, although I've run her from time to time. MOT on Wednesday, fingers crossed the sills haven't got any worse.....

Cheers,
Mark
Mine used to get run every few months, but last year I got stuck abroad because of the pandemic situation so it was rather extended! Surprised it fired up on first turn and the tyres had lost virtually no pressure even! The main thing I worry about with the MOT is emissions. I jsut wonder how all that sitting about may have affected things. It may be nothing but.....
I should think with a service and some fresh petrol she'd be fine, especially if you can get a bit of time in running to get everything moving properly.

I need to get a gallon of fuel for mine, what's in there is two years old. Amazing it actually burns! The other issue I've got is the clutch, it needs bleeding. I replaced the whole system about four years ago, so I'm hoping it's not seals.....

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #943 ·

Cheers,
Mark
I should think with a service and some fresh petrol she'd be fine, especially if you can get a bit of time in running to get everything moving properly.

I need to get a gallon of fuel for mine, what's in there is two years old. Amazing it actually burns! The other issue I've got is the clutch, it needs bleeding. I replaced the whole system about four years ago, so I'm hoping it's not seals.....
I hope so, I'm just going to run it for a while each day. There's about half a tank of fuel in it and I don't care about that stuff as its been in there a long time, so probably better to burn most of it off and then stick a load of fresh in when it goes for MOT. It sits around 15.6 afr at idle presently, which IIRC is about what it was at when I was using the car previously. Brake discs have a bit of surface rust, but that will come off with only a little use.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #944 ·
Just a small update. I replaced the turbo oil feed line as it had developed a leak from the ferrule at the turbo end. Also fitted some new, more heat resistant heat sleeving to the line to keep it safer in future.

The oil temp gauge was intermittently malfunctioning working properly on one occasion, sometimes completely dead and mostly showing maximum temperature with the engine not running. I was hoping it would be a bad ground in an easy to fix location. Fortunately that's what it turned out to be! A ground wire from the back of the gauge had rubbed and the core was exposed. After sorting that out the gauge seems to be back to normal, I'll need to test it some more to be sure.

I also sorted out the steering wheel centre boss which had a habit of occasionally falling out! A bit of tape to increase the internal diameter has sorted that out, it's now nice and snug.

I could do with a horn sticker to go on the external mounted horn button, mainly for the sake of the mot, which it should now be nearly ready for.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #945 ·
So.....car is about ready for the MOT. Today was about sorting insurance out! The car has been off the road for a few years and I've not been on any other insurance since then as basically haven't been driving. I knew I had no NCB, but didn't realise what a hassle it would create! A few of the usual suspects wouldn't even quote! As background I'm 53, obviously had no accidents in the last 5 years (in fact over 10), never had points, never been refused insurance, So I thought yeah it's going to cost me more than it used to, but was surprised when many wouldn't quote! Fortunately Adrian Flux came up with the goods and at not too much more than I used to pay all things considered, not too bad.

941 - 945 of 945 Posts