Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

921 - 940 of 945 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #921 ·
My next little project is to upgrade the audio in the car. As it's a euphonic it had the upgraded sony cdx mp80 hu with 6 cd changer in the boot, xplod woofers and tweeters in the doors and speakers in the windblocker.

The windblocker went ages ago and the sony hu got swapped for a jvc unit a few years ago.

I'm going to go for components in the doors, a 2 channel amp and an Alpine hu with no CD as I never use CD's anymore as everything comes off my phone now, plus the new hu will have DAB.

Basically this: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/players-inc-ipod-control/alpine-ute-93dab-mechless-digital-media-receiver-with-bluetooth-dab,

these: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speakers/component-systems/6-5-inch-comp-17cm/hertz-energy-esk-165l-5

and this: http://caraudiosecurity.com/hcp2-400w-stereo-amplifier

Today I took off a door card to confirm what was underneath, all was as I expected, but it was good to know.

IMG_0610_zpsnuq76mni.jpg

IMG_0611_zpsmqgkbvg0.jpg

The euphonic speakers are round rather than oval, which is good news as it saves me a job in making up mdf panels to change from oval to round speakers as I'd have had to done with any other 5. The backing plates are of course plastic which isn't ideal, but will be good enough I think, plus there is already some foam in place to seal the speaker against the door card. I'm also hoping that I can re-use the standard tweeter mounting brackets to put the new ones on.

I'll probably put the amp on the wall behind the passenger seat or maybe in the area behind the rear suspension top mount at the back of the boot. After doing some research it seems routing new speaker cable through the convoluted piping at the door is a major nightmare and for the power I'll be running I don't think it will be such a problem to use the stock wiring there and use better stuff from the amp to splice to the speaker wires behind the hu and in the door to the components.

I'll be using silent coat to deaden the doors, absorb and isolate any noise.

Everything's ordered now so I'm hoping it all arrives before next weekend and that we get some dry weather then.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #922 ·
Tonight having got through a few of the items for the stereo upgrade this weekend I did a bit more investigation into how to do the fitting. The Hertz Tweeters will fit straight onto the factory brackets and fit in the space behind the door card, this is good news as there will be no modification needed.

The Sony speakers to be replaced are xs-ha1726's which led me to this:- http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3242119111.pdf which gives the specs as peak power 170w (though the speakers are actually marked 150!!!!), RMS as 50W at 4 ohm impedance, sensitivity 92db, frequency response 40-22,000 hz.

The Hertz woofers have a slightly larger magnet than the Sony's so I will need to remove the rear collar of the speaker baffle for the Hertz's to fit the stock baffle, this should be fairly easy though as the plastic is quite brittle in manufacture so I should be able to nibble it away.

The stock speaker wires got me a little confused as they were green and green yellow on both sides! However after I looked at a wiring diagram for an mx5 I realised that the colours change on one side to yellow/red and yellow/black further back in the loom. So the plan will be to cut the stock wires back at the join and then wire "+" and "-" to the crossover unit and then wire the new speakers from there. I'll leave the redundant stock wiring in place in case I ever revert to stock.

The main item still to arrive is the amp. I've been let down by two suppliers so far for the hertz item (it was out of stock and not likely to be back in from both and they both still took payment!). Therefore I've decided to go for a Rainbow 4 channel unit. This: http://www.carsoundsandsecurity.co.uk/store/dream-4/

It's meant to be next day delivery so hopefully I'll have it friday.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Today the final part for the audio system upgrade arrived. A Rainbow Dream 4 channel amplifier.

Also I made a start on the install.

New tweeter attached to the stock bracket on one door:

IMG_0625_zpsx1tn2p9k.jpg

I'd put up some more photos but photobucket is being shit again!

Also wired in the crossover on one door and attached it to the door card.

IMG_0627-X3.jpgDremel'ed the lip on the back of one of the speaker baffles so the new woofer will fit.

IMG_0633-X2.jpg

Removed the plastic cover behind the door card and got the 'gorilla snot' black mastic off. I removed it by a combination of scraping the worst of it off and liberally applying gunk to the rest of it, it seems to respond to being sprayed with gunk, rubbed until it starts getting sticky again, then re-apply gunk, and repeat...a lot! Took quite a while but it all came off in the end. Also spraying my hands to get rid of it worked too!

IMG_0626-X2.jpg

Then I put sound deadening on the inside of the whole of the outer skin and put isolator and sound absorber behind the woofer location. All I need to do on that door is fit the woofer, wire it to the crossover and fit the wires to run through the door. Then I can think about getting the doors off.

IMG_0632-XL.jpg

IMG_0631-XL.jpg

I think I may get some more sound deadening and cover the holes on the inside of the door behind the door card, this would put the speakers in a large box effectively, but not sure if that would be good for sound quality or not?

edit:- swapped to smug mug to get more photos up!

·
Registered
327 Posts
think I may get some more sound deadening and cover the holes on the inside of the door behind the door card, this would put the speakers in a large box effectively, but not sure if that would be good for sound quality or not?edit:- swapped to smug mug to get more photos up!
Looking good so far!

When I get round to doing my doors I am thinking of replacing the moisture barrier with some waterproof sound deadening like you say

If you haven't seen it already , like in this video:

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #925 ·
Interesting that he does both the back of the door card and the inner side of the door itself. I think I'll probably just do the inner door which will take a few more sheets of silent coat.

The audio upgrade is well on its way. I've got everything fitted today and it all works though not had a chance to test the DAB yet, the aerial is connected but not fitted to the screen yet. Tomorrow I need to fix the amplifier in place, fit the DAB aerial to the windscreen and re-fit all the panels that I've taken out and the put the passenger door back in and then set the amplifier and HU settings up. It's been a lot of work so far, but it was very satisfying firing the whole system up for the first time and it looks like it all works!

Will post photos up later when I've had a bit of a rest!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #927 ·
That's interesting he's decided to go this route, I am doing the inside of the doors with silent coat but the back of door cards with roof flashing as it's cheaper.
what roof flashing are you going to get?

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I have got wickes own brand stuff have used it in my boot and on the rear firewall and it's been cool through the summer so going to continue with everywhere else it's much lighter also
good to know might be worth a look.

So I got the stereo upgrades installed over the weekend. 2-3hrs friday evening, all day saturday and finished about 3pm sunday. So I now have hertz front component speakers, rainbow dream 4 amp, and an alpine head unit plus sound deadened doors.

It does sound way better than the supposedly upgraded speakers they originally put in the euphonic, particularly the bas and the fine detail in the sound at higher frequencies. I now have DAB too.

some photos:
wecCfH.jpg
ONyDsB.jpg
vczOWO.jpg
htgASG.jpg
bbislw.jpg

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #931 ·
Got the car back today after the turbo re-build and getting the exhaust manifold skimmed flat again. Also some of the turbo to downpipe studs were replaced as the originals were in a bit of a poor state.

And on the drive home I think I really could feel a difference! And not just the 'I've spent quite a bit of money, therefore it should feel different' feeling either. Seems smoother and more responsive than before.

Yesterday I got a varley red top battery from another nutzer as the current one is a bit too tall for the space and the varley is way lighter too as a nice bonus.

So I get to drive it for a week before Japan for 5 months.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Got the car back today after the turbo re-build and getting the exhaust manifold skimmed flat again. Also some of the turbo to downpipe studs were replaced as the originals were in a bit of a poor state.

And on the drive home I think I really could feel a difference! And not just the 'I've spent quite a bit of money, therefore it should feel different' feeling either. Seems smoother and more responsive than before.

Yesterday I got a varley red top battery from another nutzer as the current one is a bit too tall for the space and the varley is way lighter too as a nice bonus.

Great to hear you got it sorted!!!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #933 ·

Thanks mate, the cars cost me a lot this year, so I'm hoping to get some trouble free motoring for a good long time now, plus I can enjoy the new stereo setup for a few days before the car goes into hibernation for winter while I go to Japan for a few months.

·
Registered
486 Posts

Thanks mate, the cars cost me a lot this year, so I'm hoping to get some trouble free motoring for a good long time now, plus I can enjoy the new stereo setup for a few days before the car goes into hibernation for winter while I go to Japan for a few months.
I know how you feel re costs! I got fed up with the boost issues on mine so put it to bed last November! The car itself hasn't cost me too much this year, just actuator and tuning, but it still didn't fix the problem so I left it in storage and bought another one!! Then the cycle starts again, ice, alloys, and now I'm looking at the old bits of the FM kit I have in the shed and think I could just turbo this one too, but not go so mad with it (unlikely). Too addictive these cars are!!! Have a great time in Japan, and don't forget all those JDM parts you'll want to bring back!!! :)

·
Registered
10,230 Posts

I know how you feel re costs! I got fed up with the boost issues on mine so put it to bed last November! The car itself hasn't cost me too much this year, just actuator and tuning, but it still didn't fix the problem so I left it in storage and bought another one!! Then the cycle starts again, ice, alloys, and now I'm looking at the old bits of the FM kit I have in the shed and think I could just turbo this one too, but not go so mad with it (unlikely). Too addictive these cars are!!! Have a great time in Japan, and don't forget all those JDM parts you'll want to bring back!!! :)
yep, and I went out this morning to go to work, only to find it's still fucking leaking oil! :censor:

albeit 'I think' I know where it's coming from, but that's not the point, the garage were meant to sort it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi mate, any current pics of the Tillett B6 fitted? Can't see them, as you're obviously aware... Cheers.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #939 ·
One new battery owing to some muppet turning the charger off and she sprung into life first turn of the key, after a year and a half without being run! :D

There were a lot of upset spiders in the bay.

I thought the oil temp gauge was faulty somewhere, but after idling for a while that was reading OK.

However the turbo oil feed line is leaking, so that needs replacing. I probably ought to replace fluids as well and the petrol could be suspect. Then it's time for an MOT, tax and insurance.

Being as its been sorn'ed for 4 years or so the insurance will hurt I expect as my NCB will be down to bugger all. Looks like road tax has been steadily hiking in the intervening years as well.

921 - 940 of 945 Posts