Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

901 - 920 of 945 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #901 ·
I noticed a little oil behind the o/s headlight on the bonnet when I got home. My catch can is behind there so quickly whipped it out and drained it, not much came out. Nasty oily water:

2016-09-02%2018.26.26_zpsroqoa9ep.jpg

There was less in there than I was expecting (I thought the can might be full owing to the oil on the bonnet) so it might be that the small catch can filter has become saturated with oil vapour and is now just spitting oil out. I'll have to keep an eye on it and replace if needed.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #902 ·
Found a good way to clean K&N filters. Soda water mixed with oxy washing powder, dump the filter in it, let it do its stuff and then air dry the filter and re-apply the K&N filter spray. Might try that with the catch can filter.

Today I got through in the post two corner indicators from Revlimiter. One for the fog lamp and the other for the ABS system. A couple of the reasons for failure on the recent mot was that these were missing. Fiddly job, but they're now fitted and working as they should. Also fitted an led replacing the main beam light as the tester felt that light wasn't bright enough, hopefully ok now.

Another little job was to tighten up the anti-sub harness straps, really nice and snug now.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
this little lot has arrived over the last couple of days, so a busy weekend ahead.

2016-09-09%2017.10.30_zpsyx4mdv4i.jpg

So there are new turbo oil feed and drain lines, engine, gearbox and diff oil, oil filter and sump washer, various heatshielding for the oil lines, water lines and brake line, turbo actuator circlip, engine wiring loom tape and turbo to downpipe lock nuts. Oh and stebel oem style horns, but they should be a lot louder and twin tone.

Still waiting on silicone induction hose, 135 degree nomex lined compressor to intercooler piping silicone elbow and stage 8 turbo to manifold locking hardware.

A lot of this is to heat protect stuff when on track so stopping anything melting or falling off in future hopefully. Engine oil needs changing after the recent engine rebuild and the diff and gearbox haven't been done for a couple of years.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
fitted most of the above stuff.

2016-09-11%2011.43.37_zpsexappd9b.jpg

turbo water lines now have heat shielding, new stainless braided, pvc coated, turbo oil feed line fitted with heatshielding, put on stage 8 locking hardware for the turbo to manifold connections (one nut left to change, but got some stubby spanners coming to get at that), heatshielded the turbo oil drain line too.

Got some new silicone induction pipe to fit and a 135 degree nomex lined silicone elbow to tidy up the pipe routing off the turbo compressor as the current pipe is bent a bit as the angle is too big for it. Also got an NRG short hub to replace the current one as the steering wheel is a bit too close to me currently.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #906 ·
this happened today:

IMG_0602_zps8v6kt45h.jpg

on the way home from work I came off a roundabout and bang, it went. Fortunately no damage other than a bit of a scrape on the wheel rim. Surprisingly little mileage on these tyres for one to go so soon. Replacement hopefully will be on on Monday. Then I'll run the set down and probably look for something a bit harder wearing as replacements.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Nice work :)

Shame about the tyre.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #910 ·
Nice work :)

Shame about the tyre.
thanks, at least the blown tyre didn't result in anything else happening.

What tyres are those?
R888 Vince, got them on the wheels when they were bought.

Where did you order the short hub?
Can't remember just now. However I'm going to sell the hub as I've decided to go in a different direction with the steering wheel setup. If you're interested it hasn't been fitted, just took it out of the box to check it out.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #912 ·
The tyre wall on those 888's look as thin as paper, as opposed the Nankang AR1's that I've got.....prior to fitting I couldn't bend the tyre wall, they're that solid.
yeah, not all that impressed with their longevity, they had had virtually no mileage put on them when I bought them too and I've not done that many. Will replace it this time round, but when all the tyres have had more wear I'll replace the set with something else probably and keep the r888's for car control days.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #913 ·
I've done a few more small jobs recently. Got a great little bluetooth receiver to connect to the stereo so now I've got all my music on the phone available in the car, cost all of £14, whereas the JVC oem one retails for over 90! Can't imagine I'll ever use the CD again. Also spent a while setting the radio up properly which for some reason I'd never got round to before.

The nomex 135 degree hose is on from the compressor and the nasty old neoprene induction hose has been replaced with a 2 ply silicone one. I'll put a photo up of the hose re-routing when I get time. Also sorted out one oil leak from the turbo oil drain, but I think there is still one coming from the gearbox. I'm hoping that is just the oil drain needing nipping up a bit more, but a gearbox oil change is due so I'll find out soon.

The new solution for the quick release steering wheel hasn't quite worked out as planned as when offering up the new item I realised that to keep my external horn button I will need an additional spacer, 5mm would have been ideal, but the smallest I could fine was 10, still even with this fitted I should get another inch from the steering wheel being closer to the dash.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #915 ·
got the tyre replaced. fitter put it on the wrong way round, I pointed this out, he got offended and gave me a load of justification, all of which was wrong. I pointed out the other 3 tyres were fitted the other way, he said they were fitted wrong :lol: will take it elsewhere and get it fixed. Funny part was he gave me a web address to go to to give feedback on their service! :blink: Needless to say the feedback might affect their chances in the 'tyre fitters of the year' awards. :rolleyes: :lol:

so avoid 'protyres' in bracknell.

·
Code Monkey
5,009 Posts
Where did you order the short hub?
Can't remember just now. However I'm going to sell the hub as I've decided to go in a different direction with the steering wheel setup. If you're interested it hasn't been fitted, just took it out of the box to check it out.
Sorry, forgot to check back on this. Interested yeah, have you got any pics?

·
Registered
696 Posts
got the tyre replaced. fitter put it on the wrong way round, I pointed this out, he got offended and gave me a load of justification, all of which was wrong. I pointed out the other 3 tyres were fitted the other way, he said they were fitted wrong :lol: will take it elsewhere and get it fixed. Funny part was he gave me a web address to go to to give feedback on their service! :blink: Needless to say the feedback might affect their chances in the 'tyre fitters of the year' awards. :rolleyes: :lol:

Just in case you need tyres again in future it is well worth the relatively short drive up to Wembley Tyres - they are very good in my experience. Beat Tyreleader on price for a set of four ContiSportContact 6s and had them in stock that day unlike just about everywhere else at the time.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #919 ·

Just in case you need tyres again in future it is well worth the relatively short drive up to Wembley Tyres - they are very good in my experience. Beat Tyreleader on price for a set of four ContiSportContact 6s and had them in stock that day unlike just about everywhere else at the time.
thanks. I'll keep them in mind.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #920 ·
Just did a small job today and changed the gear lever turret oil. The old stuff was properly manky, I think that maybe the first change its had since the car rolled off the production line. No photos as nothing much to see.

I have also changed the quick release to a shorter version and replaced the non-functioning momo steering wheel horn button with a retro Mazda badge. My horn button is on a sparco arm so I don't need the one on the steering wheel anyway.

901 - 920 of 945 Posts