Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Undo The Nut On The End Of The Crankshaft

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  5harp3y 
#1 ·
I need to get that 21mm nut off the end of the crankshaft so I can change my cambelt.

Tried sticking it in 1st, putting the handbrake on and chocking the wheels, but there's too much 'give'/'cushioning' in the drive train.

My back-up option is to stick a breaker bar on it and crank the engine, but that seems just a bit too nasty...

Any other ideas/tips on how to shift it?

Thanks,

-Skov

#2 ·
5th gear,take up the slack, large breaker bar on nut or scaffold pole over ratchet, and pull!! Whatever, I def wouldn't crank over the engine!!! Recipe for disaster and blood. Ensure you plus-gas it for a long while or similar penetrant, pref for a few days

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
you dont necesarily need to remove the big nut to get the pulley off in order to change the cam belt. I think that there are other methods. my last belt change was done by the nice people at Sam Goodwins, and I'm sure that it was changed without removing the crank pulley. Have you done a search on here or the web for alternative methods on changing teh cam belt?

#6 ·
?15 1/2" bar from machine mart, soaked in wd40 after a small ammount of heat. 5th gear and handbrake on, came off easy. Had been trying with a shorter bar for two nights with no luck. Right tool to do the job helps everytime.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
£15 1/2" bar from machine mart, soaked in wd40 after a small ammount of heat. 5th gear and handbrake on, came off easy. Had been trying with a shorter bar for two nights with no luck. Right tool to do the job helps everytime.
Finally got the bu99er off! 5th gear, repeated doses of WD40 and a bit of persitence did the trick

Now I just need to replace two of my neighbour's breaker bars that I broke in the process...

Thanks all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.