Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Under Body Protection

746 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  J15nel 
#1 ·
Evenin' all,

Had my MX5 fitted with 45mm Spax springs just before Christmas last year to get somewhat low and fill the arch gaps, and I've been wondering what would be the best thing to do after scraping a couple of speed bumps even when going slow. We live in quite a pot hole riddled part of Nottinghamshire, and there's a decent number of speed bumps at car parks and the like, so is there anyway to protect the under body at all so that nothing vital gets hammered? It's a Mk2.5 Euphonic as below, will hopefully be able to get it up on a ramp some point this week, but wondered if anyone knew what was likely to be catching and if it is worth protecting? New to lowering as you can probably tell

Cheers for any help you can provide, always appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
Got distracted looking at your build thread again

So are the frame rails what must be catching most of the time? Cause it might be a set of those P5s I might need then. Just worried about catching anything else, as a mate recommended a sump guard as well? Ideally want to keep it low as it just looks mint, but not if it'll tear away at the under carriage

#7 ·
If the completely battered frame rails on my mk2 are anything to go by they're certainly the first pint of contact, the only part of the rear bracing that has been damaged is the bolt heads...

Then again my car was properly floorscraping when i got it, I actually managed to get it stuck on a quite minor speedbump...

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
p5 frame rails are the way to go. Mine help me glide over speed bumps. the lowest point on these are the rear bracing bolts, they will take all of the impact
no need for sump guards the front subframe is lower than the sump. I used to get beached if the road had too much camber
so you will be fine with the frame rails
have fun

#9 ·
Cheers for the replies folks, much appreciated!
I think what I'll do for now is lift it back up to standard height as I've got some body work that needs attending to sooner rather than later (passenger side sill flared up a bit so has become a priority) but while it's up in the air this weekend I'll have a look and see what's been catching. Gives me time to save some coin for some coilies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.