Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Bit of a disaster today. Driving along the motorway and i ran over one of those straps that trucks have to hold down a load. After a bit i smelt rubber melting and the car started handling a bit weird.

Pulled over to check everything and found that the tyre wall on my rear passenger side tyre has collapsed.

The tyres are fairly new with loads of tread left.

Does anybody know if Pirelli have a gaurantee or am i stuffed and need to buy a new tyre?

Thanks

Allan

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, not just a puncture. Its about 1/2 way round the tyre. The wall is so soft i can almost push my finger through it. There doesnt appear to be any damage to the tread anywhere.

Tyre is deffo goosed.

·
Oh, hai!
5,001 Posts
The strap probably punctured the tyre and as it ran flat it ran on the sidewalls and borked them. You could try for a warranty claim but I'll be surprised if you get anywhere with it.

·
Oh, hai!
5,001 Posts
The MX-5 is far too light for P6000's.

·
Oh, hai!
5,001 Posts
i dont have the cash for a decent one right now.
if yours are 15's then I found Toyo T1R and Yoko Parada spec 2 are even cheaper than some budget tyres

IIRC they are 127 for a set of 4 on fleabay... delivered to your door or very cheap fitting if you go to their centre
[/quote]
I paid about £88 fitted for a pair of T1R's at Celtic tyres. If you can stretch an extra tenner or so for a decent tyre over a budget, do that.

Although ideally you want to replace them in pairs, I should imagine a T1R/Parada spec 2 and a P6000 on the same axle would be almost as interesting as a P6000 and a Linglong-drifting-tyre-of-death budget.

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Wasn't the cheapest by long shot but my tyre was punctured at the time. I paid £52 quid balanced/ fitted etc per tyre. They are much cheaper on camskill (which is where I will be getting the other two) I think they are about £32 quid iirc? Obviously you have the tyre fitting then.

I paid £52 quid due to having a flat tyre and needing the car that day. It was at AP tyres in Rawmarsh, Rotherham

·
Oh, hai!
5,001 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New tyre is on, i put it on the front and moved the front to the back so that the drive wheels have the same tyres. Also discovered I have some pretty bad rust on the sills thats gonna need welding, 20 year old car is a never ending job!

Anyone know how the BBS centre caps go back on? I cant get them secure, they keep poping off.

ta

·
Ecosse
3,884 Posts
New tyre is on, i put it on the front and moved the front to the back so that the drive wheels have the same tyres. Also discovered I have some pretty bad rust on the sills thats gonna need welding, 20 year old car is a never ending job!

Anyone know how the BBS centre caps go back on? I cant get them secure, they keep poping off.

ta
Allan,
Mine were twist & lock..but a booger to seat properly sometimes. They can look OK..but not be quite seated properly.A couple felt a loose. I applied a good blob of Loctite gasket stuff on the locking lugs. Sorted
Easy to unlock again with the BBS spanner.I assume the inner tension rings are all present?
Hope this helps.

·
9,153 Posts
you've bust the sidewall. basically like a tyre hernia. drive it straight on into a kerb or over a particularly nasty pothole and you'll do the same. chances are that most other tyres would have suffered exactly the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.