Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tyres are getting low need new ones.
Have toyo t1rs and not happy with them grip or feel wise. Had eagles on previous cars and apart from fast wear couldn't really fault them.
Me (1.8) and dad (1.6) both had mx5's at handling day (awesome fun do one), him on eagles and mine on t1r's and regardless of what i did whit damping the difference in connection with the road was odd, his was just a lot more feel, a lot better under braking and just generally more grip.

I think one of the problems is the sidewall stiffness (or lack thereof), I have heard lots of good things about hankooks and would like to try some, any ideas?

I don;t drive my car daily and like track days a lot, but don't want something that is going to last 10 miles before being illegal.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
888's if you don't drive on greasy roads through winter.

RS2's for everything else.

That'd be my choice.

Pat...

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Hankook Rs2's for me excellent on road & track

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two votes for rs2's

Inclined away from 888 as wear out quickly and a bit to 'slick'
What are RS2's like wear wise?

·
9,153 Posts
not too bad, they are a little softer / stickier than road tyres but they won't wear out like the 888's will. i've had mine on a trackday (possibly two) and a full summers road driving, and there's a good few mm left, enough for another track day and another summer at least i reckon.

·
9,153 Posts
Has anyone had rs2's and either t1r's or eagles for a comparison?
yep i've had all three. F1's i bought part worn, thought they were ok but a little 'busy' on normal driving. you could load them up nicely in the corners tho and they gripped well when pushed. melted quite badly on an airfield day. T1R's ok, perhaps a little bit wooly in feeling and response, but for the money pretty reasonable, not had them on track.

RS2's, use them first on track, really nice. when they get warmed up you can really lean on them, they just offer a little more grip than normal road tyres but still have nice progressive breakaway. much stiffer carcass means you get very nice feel from them and great response. on teh road, i prefer how they feel to the other two (i think maybe because they have circumferential grooves rather than v-grooves), they are more responsive, and on a blat in the summer they just grip really nicely. they perform great when hot, and fortunately it's easy enough - after a spirited drive on the T1R's, those are fairly warm afterwards, but the RS2's are properly hot. and you can really feel the difference behind the wheel.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
can anyone recommend good 13" tyres??
Yoko A048R's seem to get pretty rave reviews, as do the 888's Although I'm trying to find some Rs2's in 13" at the moment, should be a good comprise.
[/quote]

sweet. i checked the 888's on camskill. was put off by the prices for 4 delivered tho lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.