Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I may be viewing a 2004 mx5 with a begi kit fitted by mx5mad At the weekend. The car is in Northern Ireland (I am south of England) any advice would be helpful. I already have a mint mk2.5 and considered having a kit fitted to this but would work out cheaper to buy one already done. Is turbo noise usually evident? He did mention that you can hear it inside the cabin (during a general description of the car) did not confirm if its a woosh or whistle though? Also do they generally have cold start issues? What else would u recommend looking for?

Cheers

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
Turbo noise depends on the inlet and exhaust set up, standard will be rather quiet, big cone filter type thing and you will hear the turbo much louder trying to ingest badgers and such like. If it has a dump valve or blow of valve then you will hear them too

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi, you'll be looking for the usual things when buying a turbo'd car. Ask plenty of questions about how well the car has been serviced/looked after and who fitted the kit etc. Is the kit intercooled? Does it have standard injectors? What type of engine management or fuelling/timing solution is it running? Some of Begi's kits use Chinese turbo's. Is it a Garrett or Chinese turbo?
Where about's in NI is the seller? I live 30mins South of Belfast and if it was anywhere close to me i could maybe give you a second opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Markoc

Hi, the car is in Lisburn, its a silver 2004, begi kit fitted by mx5 mad in 2006, garret turbo, emerald ecu, 550 cc injectors, it's advertised on pistonheads would post a link (but not sure If i am allowed to) receipts for work and rr printout, I am looking at it tomorrow morning now, it's a NI car the first owner had the conversion done. Mx5 mad advised to look out for cold start issues as converted cars suffer after being mapped and its hit and miss but can't really find much using the SEARCH button. I would love a second opinion but had to bring forward looking at it from weekend to tomorrow. Gotta try not to let the heart rule the head I suppose!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.