Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, below is how I have my timing settings set up on my MS1 V3.0 for my 1991 MX-5 running NA (I have matched the timing).

Now, I am sure I have read somewhere that the trigger angle should not deviate from the stock 65 too much - i.e you should adjust the CAS to compensate, is my figure of 85 too high?

Also, this morning on cranking I had a backfire out of the intake (two infact!) which is really annoying, is 18 degrees an OK figure for cranking advance angle? would dropping it to 16 be reasonable? - I have also had a bit of kickback

Sorry for the continual stream of questions

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
get used to the backfire out the intake. open throttle when you turn the key helps it. It wont hurt anything (apparently). You can get round it (research improved spark mod on miata turbo)

Trigger angle wise, mine is set to 64, but has an addition of +22.5degree's (it came with this so not sure wether I should drop this. Its set this way on the FAQ on miata turbo also.

Don't worry about the questions! my continual stream of questions is slowly drying up! Just get reading!! :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have already done the improved spark mod and this solved the hissing or popping on turning the ignition on, the intake backfire I had was actually on initial cranking. I thought that the trigger angle addition should be set to zero?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Hello all, below is how I have my timing settings set up on my MS1 V3.0 for my 1991 MX-5 running NA (I have matched the timing).

Now, I am sure I have read somewhere that the trigger angle should not deviate from the stock 65 too much - i.e you should adjust the CAS to compensate, is my figure of 85 too high?

Also, this morning on cranking I had a backfire out of the intake (two infact!) which is really annoying, is 18 degrees an OK figure for cranking advance angle? would dropping it to 16 be reasonable? - I have also had a bit of kickback

Sorry for the continual stream of questions
Mine is the same except I am at 80 and my spark output is not inverted? is that me wrong or you?
Barry

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Ahh, You must have set the spark output to yes when you did the spark mod??

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I have already done the improved spark mod and this solved the hissing or popping on turning the ignition on, the intake backfire I had was actually on initial cranking. I thought that the trigger angle addition should be set to zero?
from what it says by it about the settings it should be zero, but on the base map, and on the instructions on miata turbo it says +22.5.

it wont make any difference surely?

Mine is 64, then +22.5 = 86.5, making it similar to yours?? Should I take this addition off and set the base timing again?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts