Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I`m currently running a low milage 1.6 VLSD on my 236BHP 6 speed 1.6 Turbo, and I appreciate with that amount of power going though it, its going to be on borrowed time, so I`m looking for a Torsen.

I`ve looked through all the old threads and from what I can tell, the conventional wisdom is to pair the 6 speed box with a 3.9 or 3.6 torsen. The car is exclusivley driven as a fast road weekend toy, almost no motorway miles. I`m not obsessed with small changes to my 0-60 times, primary motive for the swap is to make sure the drivetrain can reliably handle the power being put though it.

If anyone has a diff to sell, please give me a shout - and also if i`m looking at the wrong diff ratio I`d appreciate some opinions. Ta!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a 6" lsd will have a 4.3:1 ratio, going higher (lower numbers) will allow you to use the torque so better acceleration and (possibly) less wheelspin on acceleration ;)

Rich.
Cheers Rich. Do you agree that my low milage 1.6 VLSD is on borrowed time given the power I`m putting through it? The only reason I`m going down this route is I dont want to shred the diff and be left stranded one day, however I`m not exactly mad keen to spend £££ for fun if this is not a serious risk.

·
Super Moderator
10,063 Posts
It really depends how often you use all 236bhp and how you use them when you do. I codrove Avoneer's 1.6 open diff for a couple of years of trackdays with 220ish bhp and it survived without issue.

Shock loading will do as much if not more damage than steady in gear pulls so if you don't intend to be clutch kicking at every roundabout you come to, I'd stick with it and see how you get on. There are likely far bigger reliability risks in your setup than the diff if you're not abusing it.

That said, the price of torsen diffs has more than doubled since I bought mine so unless the bubble's about to burst, there's probably no better time to buy spares than now.

·
layabout
2,481 Posts
Cheers Rich. Do you agree that my low milage 1.6 VLSD is on borrowed time given the power I`m putting through it? The only reason I`m going down this route is I dont want to shred the diff and be left stranded one day, however I`m not exactly mad keen to spend £££ for fun if this is not a serious risk.
I think age & use / abuse have a bearing on diff life as well as power transmitted, the older 6" diffs (open, vlsd & proper plate type LSD's) are old -last fitted in '94 iirc so by definitioon needing a service or rebuild before having amodified / turbo powerplant putting hp & torque through them 🤨

when was the last time anyone rebuilt a diff (or gearbox)? it's a rare thing to prepare a car as opposed to 'quick' modifications & I've seen plenty of competition cars that have been badly built (some cannot finish a ~30 mile rally let alone roadcar duties:rolleyes:)

if you want reliability then the later 7" diff ('94 onwards?) is the way - same gears that Mazda licenced to Honda for use in the S2000 so able to withstand abuse 😎

Rich.

·
Hiding from the Ayatollah or making Full Metal Jac
1,653 Posts
I'd suggest the plentiful 4.1FD 7"s as the ideal to go with a 1.6.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts