Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Regularly Nutz
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i recently checked my dipstick and found out my oil level is close to low, so i want to know, can you just top up the oil and how do you know how much to put in?

Also i have no idea what oil is in the car as i have not changed it since buying it, so i want to know if you can add any oil type? im guessing you can't so what can i do?

or do i have to do an oil change (and filter) because of not knowing what oil is already in the car?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Should be fine putting 10w40 in. For peace of mind though you should get it serviced.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
As a guide, the difference between the min and max marks on the dipstick is 0.8 litres.

Use a good quality 0W40, 5W40, or 10W40 oil and you'll be fine, it won't matter if you mix different types or grades.

But if you have never done a change before probably worth changing the filter and oil anyway for peace of mind, it'll take about 3.5 - 3.8 litres.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
You will get some 10w-40 from asda quite cheaply. It's a branded semi. GTX iirc.

Ryan, the 15w-40 should be fine. I run something like that all year round.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.