Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So this is the start of my build thread!

I have actually owned the car for near on two years now and I have been documenting everything I have done to her via the camera on my phone (with the intention of making a build thread) but I just never got round to it.

Well, today is the day! Over the next few weeks I am going to slowly write up my near on two year history on the car.

She was purchased back in December 2014. I came across her on the trade-in sections from the Skoda garage my Dad has bought a few cars from. As a lover of MX5s for some time I was immediately in love. Did the good old 'bought the first one I saw' jobby and here we are. I had done a fair chunk of research before going for a viewing but alas was caught out on- you guessed it- rust! But more on that later...

For those who don't know the Gleneagles is a bit of an odd special edition. Standard 1.8 but with lovely Montego Blue paint, Tan leather seats, leather steering wheel, funny bits of tartan on the gearshift and tonneau cover and a walnut effect dash. Very 'old man'.

Anyway, 77k miles, 5 owners and here we go:

The day I bought her home:

14677986_10153892389595911_1600826027_o.

The interior with dash-kinda:

14725437_10153892389605911_1914339844_o.

The interior with tonneau:

14672652_10153892389520911_1729273583_o.

Drove her straight back from the dealer to the house then put her into the garage through the winter. The sun came out in March and Mum had just got a new car so out she came:

14625771_10153892389535911_1464040940_o.

That is when I started driving her. At the time I had a 1.4 Clio that I was using as a daily and I was living away at university so she got used when I was back home for a few hundred miles. I think I did around 800 local miles in her before then taking her back off the road and starting the 'restoration' as such. All the work started in August 2015 and I didn't drive her again until May 2016 (!!!). I used my Clio as the daily in this time, then sold that on to a family friend and bought back my old first car (02 plate Nissan Micra, 59bhp beast!), and I used the Micra until December 2015 when I bought a 1.6 Import to use off a member on here. Ran that as the daily until the Gleneagles came back onto the road.

So my next post shall be the start of all the work!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nice to see another Gleneagles on the forum! I'm similar to yourself in that I've had my car some 4.5years now, done loads on it but never actually got around to starting a build thread. Bought it as a stop gap car while I finished another long term car project but just got so attached to it that I could never sell it now (actually never finished the car that I bought it as a stop gap for come to think of it :rofl: ). Lost 3rd gear last september at Anglesey so I've jumped back onto the first project and will fix the '5 once that's done lol. Was the first mx5 I went to look at actually (which apparently you really shouldnt do but I just couldnt resist the montego blue :lol:). Very gentlemans club inside but its really grown on me... I could just do with some tartan driving slippers now.

Looking forward to seeing your progress! :popcorn:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, so a bit of time has popped up today so might as well get cracking! I hope you all like photos.......

So first job was to remove the seats, it was rather dirty under there:

MX51.jpg

The seats were not looking so great and had some wear so I decided to send these off to be deep cleaned, have the foam seamed to return some shape and stitch in some repair panels. This was pretty expensive and to be honest I was slightly disappointed with the results given how much it all cost but they grew on me. Here are the before shots, after shots will follow on later:

MX52.jpg

MX53.jpg

MX54.jpg

Next, as the seats were out I gave the carpet a thorough vacuum and then rented a commercial type carpet cleaner from the local DIY store. It was only 18 quid for the afternoon and worked a treat!

MX55.jpg

It could spray detergent out of the hose along with sucking the water back out. I think they call these Carpet Extractors... Anyway, I first sprayed detergent all over the carpet- and I mean floor, behind the seats, parcel shelf and boot- then I worked it in with a stiff fabric brush. I then sucked up all of the water. Shame I didn't get a photo of how black this water was! I repeated this a few times (and later used it on the carpets and seats in the Clio)!

With the carpets still somewhat damp, I got the car up on axle jacks in the garage and then tied up all the carpets so they could air out. The removable carpets I bought into the house into air. I then set about working underneath...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Using this magical stuff:

MX56.jpg

I painted the interior metal panels around the parcel shelf area:

MX57.jpg

And whilst they were drying made a start on the chassis rails:

MX58.jpg

And then with some Hammerite Underbody Seal, which is quite think but applies really nice:

MX59.jpg

And finally, installed the P5 rails:

MX510.jpg

Reasonably easy install, although a little worrying drilling through the chassis floor!! Thankfully, underneath the interior carpet there were no signs of rust anywhere:

MX511.jpg

MX512.jpg

Next it was on to the gearbox. Boots were shot, oil hadn't been changed for 20 years it seems:

MX513.jpg

New oil, new turret oil and new boots. Happy days. Old tartan gearshift cover for now though.

Next it was onto the deals, got some covers from IL Motorsport. Bugger to install the brake and clutch pedals, nasty job. Throttle and foot rest was nice and easy mind. These look great here, but aren't wearing too well to be honest:

MX514.jpg

Carpet was wearing quite thin where your feet sit, a new mat would be added later to help.

I installed all the interior panels I had painted, just left these with two coats of Zinc, I quite like the finish:

MX517.jpg

With the carpet dry, I then set about sealing it with this stuff:

MX515.jpg

I've always used this on carpet mats, I rather like it. Reinstalled the carpets, looking pretty fresh:

MX520.jpg

Old mat in for now, but sill plates fitted. Left the plastic on whilst the car was still being worked on:

MX521.jpg

We are getting there...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So seats arrived back:

MX518.jpg

MX519.jpg

What do you all think? I think I was hoping the creases would disappear I guess, the replacement panels look good and they are a lot cleaner.

MX522.jpg

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So then I started using this stuff. I usually use it on tyres and exterior trim, but I got curious as to what it would do to my hood. Became a bit addictive and ended up here:

MX524.jpg

MX523.jpg

Finished it off and was quite pleased. I would need to install a new hood anyway but I thought that will make it a little more presentable until I do. The rear window was bothering my too, could hardly see through it and it was all scratched as below:

MX525.jpg

Set about with some toothpaste, baking soda and lots of elbow grease:

MX526.jpg

Worked out quite well in the end:

MX527.jpg

Finished her off with some clear lense repair tape:

MX528.jpg

At least I could see behind me now!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Seats look great to me! They were like that brand new, think the original brochure I got with mine describes it as ruched leather or something like that http://www.mx5-mazda.co.uk/gleneagles.htm
Thank you! Good to hear some external feedback! Interesting looking at that brochure more closely- the seats looks wrinkled from factory almost.
Yep they were, only difference is between the brochure one and mine is my steering wheel is a 3 spoke design but on the pics on the link its a 4 spoke (apparenly if you remove the gleneagles cover on the 3 spoke ones there is a momo under there I believe, never actually got around to having a look under it though)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good tip on the rear window, mines very cloudy looking so may give this a go

great little write up as well, look forward to seeing more!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good tip on the rear window, mines very cloudy looking so may give this a go

great little write up as well, look forward to seeing more!
Really cheap way to make an improvement. The worse it is use more baking soda. Essentially the more soda the more abrasive it is. I massaged it on with a dry microfibre and then left it to dry for around 3/4 mins. Then a slightly damp cloth and lots of elbow grease. This is where you will remove the cloudiness and scratches. You want to really work it in so that it gets warm, that way it will cut.

I have a machine polisher that I would use to do this job again, but you can still great great results without.

·
yes, I'm fairly tall
855 Posts
A real improvement. The seats look like new. My carpet is really thin as well, something that will need replacing in the near future - how's yours bearing up? I've also used some tyre gel on the vinyl roof very sparingly, it keeps things nice and black and beads water. My tartan gear lever gaiter went brittle and started to rip, so it came off and was replaced with leather - is yours going crusty?. Just thinking that us Gleneagles owners could team up and get some Gleneagles tartan made, could run up some matching slippers, waistcoats underwear

·
Registered
384 Posts
Seats look great to me! They were like that brand new, think the original brochure I got with mine describes it as ruched leather or something like that http://www.mx5-mazda.co.uk/gleneagles.htm
Thank you! Good to hear some external feedback! Interesting looking at that brochure more closely- the seats looks wrinkled from factory almost.
Yep they were, only difference is between the brochure one and mine is my steering wheel is a 3 spoke design but on the pics on the link its a 4 spoke (apparenly if you remove the gleneagles cover on the 3 spoke ones there is a momo under there I believe, never actually got around to having a look under it though)
Interesting about the steering wheel as well!

A real improvement. The seats look like new. My carpet is really thin as well, something that will need replacing in the near future - how's yours bearing up? I've also used some tyre gel on the vinyl roof very sparingly, it keeps things nice and black and beads water. My tartan gear lever gaiter went brittle and started to rip, so it came off and was replaced with leather - is yours going crusty?. Just thinking that us Gleneagles owners could team up and get some Gleneagles tartan made, could run up some matching slippers, waistcoats underwear
Thank you again for the support on the seats! Feeling much happier now! On the carpet front, I have noticed that even my new mat is wearing down around where my heels are and underneath the carpet has actually worn through a small 5p coin sized hole.

Exactly the same happened with my tartan, ripped and was very stiff, I later swapped it out for a leather one, which whilst moving away from what is OE, does look a little better I feel...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Tartan underpants :rofl:
X marks the scot

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tartan underpants :rofl:
X marks the scot
:doh:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ooh a fellow Gleneagles! Great work so far, and the back window looks so nice now - mine was practically opaque but I have a hard top now.

I've taken the walnut and tartan bits out now, wasn't to my taste but will be keeping for resale. Think I'll do the same with the seats as they don't look far off tearing!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, so next update time. Once the hood was done I made a start on the windows. Drivers side was just a bit stiff, so I gave the runners a good greasing and that seems to free it up significantly. The passenger side was gone! Manual windows, when you got down to about 1/2 way this horrible metal grinding noise would start and the mechanism would lock up. So... got the door card off:

MX5_P1.jpg

Then took the window and regulator out:

MX5_P3.jpg

Then I took the regulator apart:

MX5_P4.jpg

That was a pig of a job. I couldn't find any instructions for how to do this so was just having to figure it all out myself. The cables were a little rusty, but overall not actually that bad. The issue is that they had become crossed on the winder and therefore were locking up about half way through the motion. Got them back on and seated correctly, gave everything a good greasing, tested the regulator many times and all seemed well. Put everything back into the car and it worked great! Result!

MX5_P5.jpg

Still working as it should and much easier to move! Saved me the £40 odd for the cable/servicing kit.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ooh a fellow Gleneagles! Great work so far, and the back window looks so nice now - mine was practically opaque but I have a hard top now.

I've taken the walnut and tartan bits out now, wasn't to my taste but will be keeping for resale. Think I'll do the same with the seats as they don't look far off tearing!
Definitely worth looking after the seats I would say- becoming increasingly difficult to find now!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts