Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am off to the good 'ole USA for my holiday this year. Has anyone got any experience of bringing back car parts in their luggage? I fancy the FM DIY turbo manifold/elbow and downpipe kit, which looks good value at $749, but not when you figure in shipping and import duty etc.
could spread the parts about the family cases and walk through customs with an innocent look on my face? Anyone else admit to doing this kind of thing?

P.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I did in the summer. Was fine.

A word of warning though, start the process before you leave the UK, otherwise your parts may not reach you in time. FM have a kind of retarded ordering system which want I was left waiting for a few parts which had to be forwarded to the UK.

·
~
15,357 Posts
You have a set allowance for bringing stuff in from outside the EU, as long as the value is less than £390 and you meet these conditions:
Additional conditions when bringing goods into the UK

To qualify for the tax/duty free allowances you also need to meet the following conditions:
  • You must transport the goods yourself.
  • The goods must be for your own use or as a gift. If the person you give the goods to pays you in any way (including reimbursing you for any expenses), then it's not a gift and you'll have to pay the duty and/or tax. So if the bill receipt from FM shows less than £390 you shouldn't be liable for anything anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.