Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Afternoon all,

I'm about to sling my four newly refurbished alloys on my '5 and am going to get a new set of tyres fitted at the same time (got some horrible mis-matched budget tires on there atm which handle badly).

The garage I've just spoken to informs me that Toyo no longer make the T1R for 185/60 R14 wheels. Is this accurate? If so what should I go for?

He can get hold of the Toyo CF1, or some Yokohama's (both at £50+vat per corner fitted). I inquired as to what he'd recommend and he suggested the Yoko's. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about but wanted to run it by the MX5 community before committing to anything as you guys know your sheet...

I want something that handles very well both in the wet and dry - and I'm not overly fussed about ware, and as long as its not stupid money I'm happy, willing to spend a little more for the right rubber!

Cheers in advance!

Al

·
spending too much money
1,184 Posts
well about the r888's... i was at silverstone 2 fridays back (19th)

i had T1R's on my rota rbs (195/45/15) and a friend had r888s on some enkei's (205's i think)

morning session was warm/dry, i used both tyres and yes the r888's dominated the Proxies.

Afternoon session was drizzly (damp) then very wet, T1R's dominated grip wise + break away was a lot more progressive, in the wet, than the r888's. i was suprised the r888's still had a ton of grip in the wet but if pushed ever so slightly over the limit you were struggling to bring the back end back + not alot of feedback when it was going to either
I put it down to the slick style edges of the tyre, so when it does go theres no where for the water to escape at the start of the slide, hence crap feedback/uncontrolable.

to put it in simple terms, T1R's for the road, r888's for the weekend toy/track days.

Also, dont be put off by the "squidgy sidewalls" of the T1R, mine are slightly stretched with no softness at all.

Ps - 54 laps of silverstone on th T1R's (6 lap intervals) and i've lost about 1-1.5mm of tread
i dont know if thats good compared to others but im happy with that

·
Registered
372 Posts
888's are great but really need to be on a track to get the best out of them. How about some Hancook RS2's...? I've opted for a set of these after advice from peeps on here.
I'm pretty sure you can't get the RS2's in 14"

I've got Yoko S-Drives in 185/60/14 and so far I can't fault them, they grip well in all weather and when the grip does eventually run out it's a smooth and progressive slide.

·
Ecosse
3,884 Posts

·
The Shoguns decapitator
11,892 Posts
195/45/14 is way to low and looks silly unless uber low

get 195/55/14 T1R , 1% difference in RR and great all rounder

To be honest I think it's pretty silly advice to recommend the R888 as a great road tyre to use all year round , it isn't

·
Ecosse
3,884 Posts
195/45/14 is way to low and looks silly unless uber low

get 195/55/14 T1R , 1% difference in RR and great all rounder

To be honest I think it's pretty silly advice to recommend the R888 as a great road tyre to use all year round , it isn't
I do beg yer pudding. I was a 55 short of a 45
Good to get your correction.

·
5 FTW
797 Posts
Just a PITA that 14" tyres are almost twice the price of 15" tyres!

im looking into upgrading to 15" just because i will need 2 new tyres soon!

·
5 FTW
797 Posts
Just to add, for 14" the Toyo CF1 aint bad all-weather tyres

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for all the advice guys. I'm tempted by the 195/55/14 T1R option - I'm fairly new to all this so just to clarify - this will have a very slightly lower profile, and slightly wider tread? Will they definitely fit my wheels (is it just the R14" that matters)? Planning on lowering the car soon anyhow so the profile

Otherwise the Yokohamas look like a sound bet. Good to hear from people who are using them... Maybe I should just get bigger wheels!

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts