Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Big progress today! Took about 4 hours to do the brake line as we had to take it off and reflare the line, absolute pig of a job.
cc736d0c45fe63e24cf2f92e0ddde22e.jpg

Once that was done we semi bled the brakes but they need doing again, then we extended the wires on the A pillar gauges and got the ammeter gauge working (it reads 0 because we haven't put the shunt in yet)
24c2154239c6d85d924a3ac7e6dd7bfa.jpg

3c770d45ec8db813aab9f6ec772c3c0d.jpg

Also found this very small hole in the exhaust, I don't think it'll fail an mot but I'm gonna weld it up anyway
dd6b1375d8eaa84fd4b6321cac5d10c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Interior is back in it's coming together now
8879ee4c9f685c21a3ec1291c0197386.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
11 hour shift on the five. All body panels are connected and the skid pan is in, seats and centre console in. Handbrake cable tightened and handbrake adjuster on caliper tightened. Welded exhaust hole. All that's left is to bleed brakes tomorrow when the fluid arrives and fit a new y piece in the washer lines.
410c5aa792501e6755e608010204d2cb.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Okay big update, the mot was last Thursday which it failed on for emissions, headlights, bulbs, handbrake and ARB bushes mainly. Spent the day fixing it all (apart from the emissions because we suspect the emissions failed due to the hole in the flexi pipe so I'm gonna have to whack some cataclean in and take it for an Italian tune up before the next mot). We fixed it all anyway and booked it in for the next day, was testing my handbrake on a steep hill and went to pull off and the car went bang. Turned out to be the cv joint on the half shaft :wallbash: . So I've ordered a new one from breakers and hopefully I'll actually make it to the next mot also need to fit the brake stopper, my new braided brake line and bleed the brakes AGAIN my goal for it to be on the road for summer is quickly receding into the abyss. Anyway here's a photo of it after the half shaft binned itself
5fe95b367d53faf24634e55f9cf7a73f.jpg

On a more positive note I'm loving how retro and vibey the interior is!
c2eb911c193f8c1c9e5c3821ad246b09.jpg

18031cc0dff426230776027ee171850d.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Brake stopper has been cut and welded to fit the SVT master cylinder and I've bent the brake pipes so they clear it! May do a how to if anyone wants one but it's fairly simple. My half shafts have come so one will be going in the 5 tomorrow and I'll get the retest booked! Gonna try and sleeve the flexi pipe in the exhaust to help with that blow and hopefully get my emissions through the threshold.
138ac17fbd06cf4cc41520ca2d0d870e.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Half shaft is in and its driving again!Brakes all bled and working a treat, absolutely buzzing with how well they've come out! Wrapped the flexi pipe in 2 exhaust bandages and thrown on some high temp sealant
6ab6004f76b934957d995cf5a768a1f7.jpg

Also bought some cataclean and super unleaded petrol ready for the retest (which is booked in for Tuesday) if all goes well it'll be on the road very soon!
b97e47eecdd5f014a5f041b298ee063f.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Mot failed on the handbrake again so I'll probably need new calipers, neons working wonderfully though so that's a bonus
2da606077a3630b8b0362df0922c91e1.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Update again, weve fixed the handbrake (we think), we got the car booked in for another mot and the caliper fell off on the way to the centre:mad: I didnt notice until it was there cause it only jammed when the car reversed, which i didnt do when i was running it. Good news is the car itself is running smoothly so hopefully emissions wont be an issue when its back in. Also threw in some brand new spark plugs which will help (NGK BKR6E). The old ones were BKR7Es which are better suited for forced induction, I wonder if my engine was turboed at some point:unsure:. The engine definitely runs smoother with the 6Es, being NA and all. Caliper is back on now so I need to book another mot (if theyll let me back in😂)
Aside from the mx5 stuff Ive helped my mate bleed the brakes on his mr2 and he let me take it for a drive, those things are sproncey in speed

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Oh also my m62 mounting kit has been welded together, just needs powder coating!

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
Half shaft is in and its driving again!Brakes all bled and working a treat, absolutely buzzing with how well they've come out! Wrapped the flexi pipe in 2 exhaust bandages and thrown on some high temp sealant
6ab6004f76b934957d995cf5a768a1f7.jpg

Also bought some cataclean and super unleaded petrol ready for the retest (which is booked in for Tuesday) if all goes well it'll be on the road very soon!
b97e47eecdd5f014a5f041b298ee063f.jpg

Did you find that the cataclean worked well? I've got an mot coming up soon and have ordered some, but I'm wondering if its just another 'snake oil' product. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Did you find that the cataclean worked well? I've got an mot coming up soon and have ordered some, but I'm wondering if its just another 'snake oil' product. :rolleyes:
Car still failed massively on emissions but I have a big exhaust leak and the car is on a basemap so its unfair to assume the cataclean doesnt work, most people swear by it!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Picture of said mates MR2, what a machine!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Okay so another update, the car was back in for another mot (they let me back in after last week's shenanigans) it flew through everything except emissions. We've put more exhaust bandages and have put a lot of high temp sealant into the flexi pipe to try and plug that hole. I also spent all day yesterday trying to get the car to read 14.7:1 at idle to no avail. I've messaged a remote tuner to see if he can sort my idle for me just so I can get it through emissions. I have 2 weeks to get that map and then get the retest in so I don't have to pay again

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
Car still failed massively on emissions but I have a big exhaust leak and the car is on a basemap so its unfair to assume the cataclean doesnt work, most people swear by it!
Sorry to hear that, doesn't appear to be too far off passing, good to know you don't think the cataclean was a problem. Hopefully the next test will see it through.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Okay so we tried to fix the bad exhaust blow with bandages, the car wasn't having any of it. So we took the exhaust out and had to remove the flexi pipe and solid weld in a tube to make it straight through, we then covered that over with exhaust bandages again so hopefully that exhaust blow is fixed! I ran the car briefly and it sounds so much quieter now and runs smoother

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I also had a very real opportunity to buy an FD rx7 for quite cheap, but the owner was an absolute t*** and sold the car after promising to keep it for me while refusing a deposit and stringing me along. Would've been the perfect project for me as it's my ultimate dream car, guess I'll have to keep an eye out and see if one comes up for cheap (not holding my breath though)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I bought mine out of field unseen sent a tow truck company to get 7 years ago for £3500. Spent £2500 getting it back on road ( and fair few hrs). Went from pic 1 to pic2 bad day at Combe then to pic 3

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I bought mine out of field unseen sent a tow truck company to get 7 years ago for £3500. Spent £2500 getting it back on road ( and fair few hrs). Went from pic 1 to pic2 bad day at Combe then to pic 3

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
That's fantastic! I've been jealous of your 5/7 combo for a while now I wish we were still in the days of FDs being worth 3k but it's getting increasingly more unobtainable to me

21 - 40 of 74 Posts