Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a kit form Mr Fast and finally had the time to start fitting it to the car today but came up against a bit of a problem when fitting the belt tensioner that was included in the kit. It looks like a Moss one but with metal rollers. Trouble is I can't seem to get it to fit. There's a cat bracket the the pump attached to and if I put the bolt the the pump hinges on through the tensioner the next bolt should match up with the cast part but the hole is about 5mm to low. If I try and file it out I think the bolt may interfere with the roller (and it'll take bloody ages,damn thick ally). Any ideas on how to fit this?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
If its the same as I have made, it has 3 holes to secure the bracket and 2 holes for the pulley's, the back of the bracket should be milled to take another bracket which secures the PS pipe. Connect the bracket using the PS hinge bolt, the other 2 should line up if you move the PS pump, if they dont then the holes have been drilled in the wrong place.....

Hope this helps....
Barry

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the two untapped holes that should mount to the cast part are 58 mm apart center to center. I didn't get any other bracket so I guess I need to re-use the standard part?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Any chance of a picture of the tensioner, front and back, it may help.
Barry

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the pictures uploaded

Front

Back

And with the pivot bolt in place showing the missalignment

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried again today and definatley something weird going on here.

Top two bolts in place

Bottom bolt misalignment.

I'm tempted to take a saw to the bottom bolt hole and turn it into a slot kind of like this with a large washer to help spread the loads

From the test fits i've done and the thickness of the material I don't think i'll run into any strength issues.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Have you spoke to Andy about it chap?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried pm'ing him but no response yet. I'm guessing he's fairly busy though.

I'm itching to pick up the hack saw now though

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
If it doesent fit when yo pivot the PS pump then the holes must be in the wrong place bud. Also it looks like Andy has milled the back of the bracket to house the PS pipe support bracket so you will need one of these or the main bracket will not sit correctly, see the Moss link http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=4744 Give me a bell if yo need to chat this through..........
Barry

·
Its a heat gun not a hair dryer :p
3,493 Posts
If it doesent fit when yo pivot the PS pump then the holes must be in the wrong place bud. Also it looks like Andy has milled the back of the bracket to house the PS pipe support bracket so you will need one of these or the main bracket will not sit correctly, see the Moss link http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=4744 Give me a bell on 07595 323213 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting??????????????07595 323213??????end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting??????????????07595 323213??????end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting??????????????07595 323213??????end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting??????????????07595 323213??????end_of_the_skype_highlighting if yo need to chat this through..........
Barry
Tried to phone back Graham but goes to answerphone...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andy, my phone decided that it would run out of battery. Got online through the work phone. Will let you know when I've got some charge in it

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it to fit

Took a bit of filing out but it fits and now I can get on with the rest of the install

·
Registered
365 Posts
Got it to fit

Took a bit of filing out but it fits and now I can get on with the rest of the install
I had a similar problem. I ended up drilling the holes by 5mm ish to get em to
line up. Bit of a nightmare imo.

Looking at the bracket from above in situ, 2 bolts are fine and flush, but one of the bolts there's quite a sizeable gap between the pas and the bracket- what has everyone been doing with this gap?
Obviously torquing will 'bend' the bracket.

I also had to replace the long bolt with one using a smaller head as it was rubbing on the belt.

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
i was test fitting some parts today and found the above troubles. Just thought id add some pics incase anyone else scratches their brains. I already have my solutions to the problems:

In the pic above you can see that when you remove the C shapped bracket that holds the Power steering pipe out of the way you are left with a gap on the bolt. Its exactly 4mm so make sure you insert washers here when you fit it otherwise it will try and twist - that or fit a Power steering pipe support bracket.

Two bolts, the upper 14mm bolt and the one that will need the washer are in, but the lower PS pivot bolt hole is mis aligned:

You can see that some filing may have to be done - not only on this hole but on the others (just to ensure that we dont run out of material at the side).

Also - while im at it - the bolt clearly seen in this pic (The one you need to extend) will be counter sunk on mine as i think its too close to the belt when you have the tensioners on - its just a mm from touching the belt. :?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Good pics Steve. Sounds like you've had Exactly the same issues as me.

I replaced the long bolt with one with a shorter head. Also, perhaps recklessly I didn't bother with the bolt with the 4mm gap. Tired of filing tbh.

Done about 1k miles on it and the bracket is still v secure.

I also had to modify the main sc to block bracket to move the sc forward, but that's another matter.

Paul.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
i had this too! - My 4 rib belt now sits bang in the centre but before it was falling off the front of the SC pulley.

this is whats i did:

using a steel rule butted against a good length of belt = the pictures below :?

= 1 rib out.
This is how i put that right (taken from another thread on another forum)
i found that the measurements are wrong on the bracket compared to Barry's drawing - but i dont mind getting my hands dirty.

The Centre points for the three holes in the red box measure differently than the ones in front of me.

Here are the bracket measurements i have:

40 (5mm out = 1 rib)

105 (as above)

172.5 (1cm out due to the different counter sunk bolts used on the other plate)

so by the bodge vested in me - file the three holes to the left of the centre by 5mm.

problem over - charger sits 5mm further forwards or more if you get carried away
As mentioned my belt now sits bang on

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.