Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only noticed the other day that the underside of my 10AE's fuel flap has a sticker on it saying that premium unleaded should be used with 95 Ron being an option.

This raises a few questions:

1) Does this mean that the car is mapped to run on 98 Ron + as standard? and

2) Will the ECU pull timing if it senses knock on 95 Ron fuel, or will the engine simply det away until it eventually destroys itself?

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,495 Posts
Confusing terminology: 95 RON is "Premium" unleaded.

As far as I know, it's the same right across the EU:

93 RON is Regular
95 RON is Premium
97 RON is Super

Well, 97 or more is Super, and Regular isn't sold everywhere (not in the UK, as you'll have noticed).

·
Registered
440 Posts
Confusing terminology: 95 RON is "Premium" unleaded.

As far as I know, it's the same right across the EU:

93 RON is Regular
95 RON is Premium
97 RON is Super

Well, 97 or more is Super, and Regular isn't sold everywhere (not in the UK, as you'll have noticed).
Ah right, I'll double check whether numbers are listed on the sticker or whether it's "premium" preferred and "regular" optional.

I may be confusing it in my mind with my other car that has a sticker saying it prefers super (or 98 Ron+ I think).

You're right though, I've never seen anything lower than 95 octane offered anywhere in the UK, but then I haven't really been looking as I've only used 99 Ron for the past 5 years in my other cars.

As an aside, is there much performance to be had out of remapping a non-FI Mk 2 on 99 Ron, assuming the usual exhaust mods have been added?

·
Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,393 Posts
[As an aside, is there much performance to be had out of remapping a non-FI Mk 2 on 99 Ron, assuming the usual exhaust mods have been added?
I suspect that you will struggle trying to remap the factory ECU.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[As an aside, is there much performance to be had out of remapping a non-FI Mk 2 on 99 Ron, assuming the usual exhaust mods have been added?
I suspect that you will struggle trying to remap the factory ECU.
[/quote]

Not necessarily, an American tuner has had an Mk 2 1.8, remapped using the stock ECU (probably modified to accept a chip), on a dyno in the last week.

I was thinking more along the lines of a piggyback "remap" to adjust the stock ignition and fueling settings using an Emanage Blue though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts