Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am taking my car audio stuff a bit seriously I need a better soldering iron and crimping tool.

What suggest you? Don't want to spend a fortune but don't want tat either.

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
Since I am taking my car audio stuff a bit seriously I need a better soldering iron and crimping tool.

What suggest you? Don't want to spend a fortune but don't want tat either.
will you be doing a proper job with non insulated crimps? if so, you need a decent ratchet crimper. i have the draper one with interchangeable heads but they're about ?65 new. perfect crimps first time every time though.

i'd probably suggest getting dedicated insulated and non insulated crimping pliers though. changing the heads is a bit of a PITA if you're doing odd ones.

i'm yet to find a gas soldering iron i'm happy with. you may need to be looking into the realms of snap-on for one that won't die in a matter of weeks. certainly the laser, draper and the other brand halfords have sold, whose name escapes me, are shite.
tom

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah crap Forest Five was selling a snap on not too long ago.

It will mostly be insulated stuff to be honest for the vast majority so just a heavy duty ratchet one for those then another heavy duty non insulated ratchet one will sort it out?

Just need to find a decent priced butane soldering iron then and sorted. My old electric one is still doing the job tbh but it is getting on in years so would like to retire it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.