Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont really know whether this is in the right folder, butt...

has anyone removed and refitied a subframe on a mk1 and managed to leave the engine in the car?
is this possible or am i just hoping?

Basically had a accident yesterday, subframe is abliterated, and has actually pushed up the footwell by my clutch pedal, other than that all the other bolting points look fine.. any idea whether you'se think its worth sorting? or do you recon my chasis going to be to bent up?

its in the process abliterated my steering rack, bent my steering column, ruined track rod ends and anti roll bars, and all what im assuming is power steering lines (anoying because i just had the car all resprayed about a month ago!)

another question, where the subframe bolts onto the car (other side of footwell near the clutch pedal)
is this classed as floor pan or chassy? that is the only part which apears bent which could possibly cause me alot of problems.

Thanks for you help guys.. could really do with it right now!

·
Are YOU a Help Vampire?
6,177 Posts
Ouch
yes you can swap without taking the engine out, but you will need to support the engine while you are doing it.

but if you hit the front of the subframe, and steering rack , column, anti roll bars etc, are you SURE that this is the only bit of the car which is bent?

Yep its a bitch that it's only just been sprayed, but if i did the same damage to Bankruptcy then i'd be sorely tempted to take off all the bits of value and move them to a new shell.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
With that level of damage (being there) I wouldn't be surprised if the shell wasn't "bent". Might be worth having her checked out on a jig otherwise it may never drive right to the point of making the handling unpredictable.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to be honest its not looking good, i've noticed that just behind my door the paintwork has cracked and chiped, implying that the body has twisted so to speak! And no to be honest considering the state under there, i would be so supprised if the chassy isnt bent/twisted etc, so im left with a dilema ive spent all that money on a respray, on a car where theres no guarentee that when spent the last of my cash putting it back together that it will not crab down the road, or pull to one side!

any ideas on what you guys would do if you was in the situation let go and give up, or try and risk it!?

and does anyone have any idea that where the subframe bolts to, near the foot well, where the pedals are.. its that chassy or floor pan?

·
Are YOU a Help Vampire?
6,177 Posts
there is no chassis as such, the MX5 is based on a monocoque design , with 2 subframes bolted to it, and a PPF joining the 2 together.

the mounting points for the front subframe are 2 each side through the mainrails in the engine bay, and then another 2 each side bolting into the floor of the car.

My personal opinion, if it was my car (actually my car, the one that i have spent 2 years working on, with lots of work done on the shell, inc respray etc) if she had sustained that sorta front end damage that you have described and i was seeing signs of stress behind the doors, Then i would strip everything of value, and transfer them to another car.

at the least i would take her to a pro shop with jig to check body alignment rather than relying on describing the issues to people on a forum, esp without pics.

what did you hit? at what sort of speed? can you take pics? all of this will help people form an opinion.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i cant get pictures at the moment, basically there was a tree with a concrete border around it in a car park, but tesco decided they would cut down the tree so i did not see the concrete border its about the hight of a kerb maybe a little lower, but my car was incredible low around 3 inches clearance to the floor, i was going about 20/25 and i hit it square on and no wheels took the impact it was all sump and subframe which took the impact pushing the subframe back bending all my steering rack etc!! where the subframe bolts near the floor pan, its been bent up and bent in my floor pan near my clutch pedal around the size of a egg! i cant get pictures up at the moment, but i will do when i can. The problem ive got is funds i have no money at all its all in the flipping car, so i have a car thats worthless and no money to repair it or by another! other wise i would do as you said before

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
only 3rd party im afraid and they will just look at it and say right off instantly even if i was fully comp

·
Giving MX5 owners a bad name by being a hairdresse
1,518 Posts
sorry to say from what you have said a reshell may be in order . post up some pics & lets see whats up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts