Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon chaps, some help with this would be really appreciated. Started this morning, was fine yesterday.

Symptoms:

Stuttering idle. Doesn't stall. Stays around 500rpm.
Big loss of power. At WOT it won't rev past 5000 easily
Petrol smell as if running rich

Cheers guys,

Toby

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It also doesn't change idle when AC is turned on etc.

· Registered
1,538 Posts
This is a common problem by the looks of the forum, and my old one did it too.
Unfortunately I'm yet to see a solution. Once it gets past 5000 does it behave as normal?

You can try resetting the base idle using the guides on the forum, after that have a look at replacing the coilpack.

Neither of these fixed mine though.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went outside and had a fiddle today.

Booked in to go and see Skuzzle about this tomorrow anyway, so hopefully should get it sorted.

I found that poking the TPS seemed to make a difference? When I nudged the connector to the right the idle seemed to sort itself out, and then went back to stuttering when I let it go.

Sprayed a bit of WD40 over the connectors, doesn't seem to have made a difference. I've used a couple of cable ties but it's still intermittent.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Popped down to see Nick (Skuzzle) today.

It was the throttle position sensor!

Previous one was held together with a cable tie, and it was clear that the contact pins inside had been rubbing and causing the ECU to think all sorts of things.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It turns out that I had an underlying ECU fault as well, which required me to fit a new (used) ECU to solve the problem.

With regards to the TPS, it's well worth adjusting if you have the time/patience.

The way to do it is using a multimeter, and taking the sensor connector off, and using the probes to test the continuity between them at various positions.

There is a guide to do this somewhere (Miatanet I think)...

The TPS on the Mk1 1.6's is such a simple device, there isn't really much to go wrong, so I wouldn't necessarily bother replacing it. Adjustment is important though otherwise at partial throttle, the ECU can be told you are still idling....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.