1,217 Posts
I have an original mazda one, check out www.mx5jdmautoparts.com
barry spiers has one on his m45 setup so it should be fine,
Thanks charles.

·
Miss me?
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Charles - I really don't think there's enough room between the bonnet & the SC - also the AFM is sitting way too close to the passenger side strut to allow for any kind of bracket ATM.

I've decided to go ahead & adapt the Cusco to fit but I'll have to wait until I have a Megasquirt installed first, enabling me to scrap off the AFM.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
TBH the front strut does very little if anything on an Mx due to the suspension design, as you've probably noticed. So unless you just want a bit of engine bling, you might aswell save your money and spend it on under chassis bracing which actually works!

The only thing I found is it did was very slighty reduce my rattling dashboard over very, very rough surfaces with my bone shaking sports billies.

·
Miss me?
4,552 Posts
TBH the front strut does very little if anything on an Mx due to the suspension design, as you've probably noticed. So unless you just want a bit of engine bling, you might aswell save your money and spend it on under chassis bracing which actually works!

The only thing I found is it did was very slighty reduce my rattling dashboard over very, very rough surfaces with my bone shaking sports billies.
I certainly have noticed a difference when braking fast into corners - the car now doesn't want to turn in as quick, as if there's a lot more oversteer understeer.

I already have under body bracing on both the front & rear

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Interesting, I suppose you can only go on what you feel, but surely you mean understeer if the car is not turning in as quick! Here's what Racing Beat have to say about them:

Why doesn't Racing Beat offer a "strut" tower brace?
Well, since the Miata is not equipped with a "strut" type suspension, we have never been compelled to offer a "strut" brace! Unlike some automotive applications that utilized McPherson "strut" suspension designs, the Miata was designed with a more performance-based front and rear double wishbone suspension.

On many of the early RX-7 applications, which utilized the McPherson strut style suspension, the tops of the strut "towers" were an integral component of the suspension and bore both vertical and horizontal loads of the suspension. Many of these early cars featured upper strut towers that were inboard of the inner body panels and suffered measurable flexing while under load. For these applications, a brace between the tops of these strut towers provided significant structural rigidity. If room allowed, further bracing the towers against and the firewall (a triangulated brace) further added to this improvement in rigidity.

There is also bracing available for the centre of the car, frame rails, butterfly braces, PPF strentheners and for under the front wings such as the Boss Frog arms!

·
Miss me?
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but surely you mean understeer if the car is not turning in as quick!
Ah yes, now corrected - thanks Rich

I always get the two phrases mixed up.......I'm more used to the term 'pushing' & it's definitely pushing the front more now that the support is off. Then again it could be down to the way the car decelerates now that there's a SC onboard......then there's the added weight

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Anyway, if you want one you could bite the bullet and buy the £150 Cobalt one from Moss, you'll probably get £40-50 for you Cusco! I'll doubt you'll get a second hand Cobalt one for much under £100.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts