Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Zapot
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these kind of 'grinding' problems are difficult to pin point without actually hearing the noise for yourself. Would like to know if anybody can give me an idea of what's gone wrong or how much this is going to cost to fix...

Every time I turn left my car makes a grinding noise. It happens in pulses as the wheel is turning. Not very loud but still worrying.

My car has covered 80k miles so I'm assuming something needs replacing?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

· Zapot
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not very mechanical when it comes to cars but have concluded that the noise stops when I apply the brakes. So I'm guessing this is the cause of the problem?

Hope new pads aren't too expensive!

· Zapot
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the noise suggestions.

According to my paperwork it turns out the brake pads haven't been changed for nearly two years. (bought the car 6 months ago)

I'm going to have a go at replacing them myself, fairly straightforward?

· Registered
3,876 Posts
Thanks for the noise suggestions.

According to my paperwork it turns out the brake pads haven't been changed for nearly two years. (bought the car 6 months ago)

I'm going to have a go at replacing them myself, fairly straightforward?
Yeah, I'm sure there's a guide on here somewhere, or look on youtube for a vid! But basically just get the car up in the air safely, then remove the wheel on the side you're working on, undo the bottom caliper bolt and the middle floating section of the caliper will flip up, then you can change the pads, pop the caliper back down, put the bolt back, put the wheel back on and voila. Little more to it than that I spose like grease up back of pads/shims etc, but thats the general gist of it. Maybe get yourself a repair manual first and you can follow the guide in there?

Could also be worth cleaning and greasing up the sliders while you're doing it as they do tend to get full of crap which makes them get stuck and not slide so well.

· Registered
108 Posts
It might even be a snapped ARB droplink. When they snap they grind as you turn / the wishbone flexes as the metal rubs against each other.

Should be an easy spot if you've got the wheel off checking your brakes anyway!

· Zapot
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I've fitted my new pads and discs which solved the clunking noise problem but have created another...

When I apply the handbrake I can still push the car a few inches (i'm guessing the brakes aren't locking on strong enough)

Is there a known fix?

Thanks,

· Registered
9,546 Posts
If you changed the rear discs then it could well be there little adjusters inside the caliper. The manual talks about backing off quarter of a turn, but it's nothing like that much. I found it best to actually leave them dragging ever so slightly, which will wear off in a few miles.

Or your drivers side rear caliper is shot. I need one just about every mot. Today included.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.