Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Thursday 15th April I picked up a standard 1990 1.6 Eunos in Silver from Russell on here, quite a tatty car all round but it's old enough to not need a CAT and its 99% free of rot. Lots of rusty bits bolted to it (that doesn't matter, they will be lost) but the shell itselfs ok, looks like its had a rear sill repair once and its had a respray in recent years but otherwise ok.

On Friday night 16th April after work I set about stripping out the interior, it lost seats, carpets, air con condensor, heater, blower, dash, clocks, stereo, door cards, center console, ECU cover, passenger seatbelt, sound deadening, bolt in bit of parcel shelf, drain tubes the lot.

Photos from 16th

On Saturday 17th April I removed the soft top and frame, windscreen surround plastics, boot lining and took the drill and jigsaw to the rear shelf and cut it all out ready for the weld in cage. Also refitted the metal dash bar to support the steering column and driver seat so I can drive it to Nickson Motorsport. Also put the hard top on

Photos from 17th

Photos from 18th

and dropped it to Nickson Motorsport, so will not see it again now until next weekend when I collect it with a full cage with harness bar, door bars and a dash bar to replace the OEM one.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hi Steve

Those pictures take me back to the early days of my project! Are you planning to replce the dash board steel tube with something a bit stronger? That is a very thin walled section of tube and if you could replace it it would stiffen the car up well.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve

Those pictures take me back to the early days of my project! Are you planning to replce the dash board steel tube with something a bit stronger? That is a very thin walled section of tube and if you could replace it it would stiffen the car up well.
hi Malcolm, yes that tube is going - one if the main attractions of a weld in cage to me. Will help tidy up the interior a lot as well.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That engines replacement is ready to fit
- around the 320bhp mark

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spoke to Nick of Nickson Motorsport today about how feasible my request was now he's had a good look at the car and he thinks all can be accomodated. So the brief for the cage is as follows :-

Main hoop legs right into the corners behind the seats as much as its physically possible to get them. On these legs mounting brackets for the hard top to utilise the existing hardtops bolt hole where the side latches would be, they have been removed as they weigh loads. The top of the bar up as high as possible, as close to the roof as possible behind the seats. Single diagonal in the main hoop. Rear supports going to as close as possible to the rear shock mounts to act as a rear strut brace. Single bar door bars - positioned to give the occupants as much room as possible, top side bars pushed as close to the roof as possible. The front legs as far forward as possible and tagged to the windscreen pillars with dash bar incorporated to replace existing dash bar.

Looking forward to seeing how it works out

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Wow thats fast work, you've only had it a few days!
Sounds like a great plan for the cage, I'll be interested to see how this goes as I will be hoping to fit something similar later in the year.
Hope the rest of the car does turn out to be solid everywhere, my impressions of the car when I had it were all good so I'm gutted that it had been welded up previously!

Russell.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Russell, the rest all looks good, just that one sill that looks to have had work. When I ripped out the drain tubes they were totally blocked so thats probably why. The passengerside floor was soaked from the leaky roof and the ECU guard panel was totally rotten bu that doesn't matter as it went straight in the bin and the cars now got a hardtop

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hi Steve

Sounds a good spec for a cage. Are your side bars going into the doors or are you keeping the door cards on? Glad you are putting a dash cross brace in. I heard a story once about a crash on track in a 5 where the impact came at the door hinge point and pushed that area into the drivers legs. No cross brace meant very little resistance. 320 bhp? Yummy.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Malcolm, the doors are in one piece at the minute and I will want to retain the winder mechanism, I suspect I could chop some of the inner away just to allow the bar to sit a bit inside the door.. I'll probably phone today and see what he thinks or if there isn't much to be gained.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes, more than ?1000.

I would have gone for a max5 cage, ?800+vat but they don't allow a roof of any kind.

Other one I looked at was a Cusco bolt in but they are actually a bit crap, dash dodger front legs, no diagional, no door bars and take a load of seat space away, plus they are expensive as well.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Lol. I was going to say what a sweet car having seen the first few pictures! Wow - thats a project and a half. I envy you - having the time and the patience (and the dosh) to do all that work. My wife won't let me have another track car so I will watch with very envious eyes. Good work.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
cf the Safety Devices cage, I like the fact you are taking the rear support down to the rear damper top mounts. The SD cage I think stops at the rear parcel shelf which is not a thick sheet of metal so didn't give me confidence. I don't think you will regret the extra cost of this cage.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got my new side mounts for my seat today - how heavy! I got steel cobra ones and my god they are weighty got to be over a kg each - significantly.. I really should have spent the extra on alloy ones. I also got my new harness which is very nice to use with the bar.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.