Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to fit a new stereo but not sure how to get old one out and dont want to pay halfrauds £30 to do it.I cant see anyway to remove it,apart from when i take facia surround of stereo there are 2 slits where the surround fits in would you say this is the way forward

·
Registered
236 Posts
What stereo is in there just now? I would take a guess and say its an after market single DIN unit, in which case you can usually get the appropriate removal tools off eBay for a couple of quid. Typically you would remove the front panel and the trim surround, and then use removal keys in a slot on either side. If you want more specific advice it would help if you post some photos up.

·
Registered
559 Posts
when you buy the new stereo you should get 2 "keys" i.e thin strips of metal that you can push down the slots you mentionto allow you to pull the head unit out - if not jus cut some out of some acrap metal or sturdy plastic, but normally new stereos come with them...

·
Registered
607 Posts
You could remove the centre arm rest and and the trim around the unit and heater controls etc .pop out the clock or cubby box which will gve you some room the get to the locking tabs that will be bent over from the cage to hold it in place and just bend them back, so you can pull it out in one and unplug the connections, and then you can fit you new one in the same way, because it will need to come out to fit the new cage anyway,
Unless you have a double din OE head unit fitted?
I which case i would remove the trim anyway so no damage, pop the side trim bits off the unit and some jewellers drivers will do for putting in the holes to release the holding clips.
M-m

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.