Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I have a Nardi Classico that I'm doing some work on but I can't detach it from the hub as 4 of the 6 allen key bolts now have rounded heads
I managed to remove two of them with extreme effort, but the others are now buggered. Any ideas on what to do?

Cheers

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
Might one of those screw extractors work? The ones that fit in electric screwdrivers and bite into the screw head?

Other thing would be to dremmel a slot for a screwdriver, but it might damage the wheel.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
First, give each bolt a fair old 'tap' with a small hammer and a form of punch. A small socket extension piece usually works. This will help break the seal of the two threads. Then get a torx or allan key that is as close as fit as possible (presuming the actual head is mangled) the best type to use is the type that comes with a socket set. Apply severe 'seide-ways' pressure as well as rotation pressure to the bolt and it should free itself with a 'crack'. If this fails, get a slightly larger sized torx bit and gently hammer it into the mangled head of the bolt. This sometimes takes 3 or 4 good hits to get it secured, then undo with socket wrench.

DO NOT SPRAY WITH WD40 or OIL ETC

The main thing in both cases is that you are applying 'sideways' pressure to the bolt head as well as rotational pressure.

·
Miss me?
4,552 Posts
Failing all above.........drill the friggin heads off the bolts - this is so much easier with Allen bolts as you have a ready made guide (Allen recess) to keep the bit central to the bolt.......a bit equivalent to or slightly smaller than the dia of the bolt will be required & make sure it is marked HSS (high speed steel) or better still, cobalt.

Use cutting paste/fluid if available (spit works well too) & don't go berserk with the drill - a slow speed with steady pressure, stopping often, will do the trick.........Keep a cardboard box under the job to collect loose swarf.

If the Allen key has indeed gnarled the head it means that the bolt is not an 8.8 (hardened) & you should find little resistance drilling into it

Vince.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had a similar problem when removing mine as the metal in bolts is very soft. i managed to persudae them out with a brand new allen key before the rounded too much.

They are small pretty small and dont actually need too much torque to get them out so i would try this method recommended on another forum...

"Go to your local Maplins, Car shop, Halfords, hardware shop etc.

Buy a small tube of any two part steel epoxy - I recommend BONDLOC? Steel Epoxy B2013 which sets like steel - I get mine from Maplins.

Mix up a small blob and fill the rounded out head, push in an alan key and let the whole thing cure (an hour or two usually)

When set/cured, unscrew."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.