Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've been the proud owner of a 1990 Eunos Roadster 1.6 now for a couple of weeks and I must say I'm loving it, but more recently one or two problems have come to light. The one problem which to date has totally confused me though is the play in the steering.

When I test drove the car initially I didn't really notice it to be honest as the test drive was in 30/40mph residential zones so no higher speed stuff. It's not until recently that I started to feel the steering being a bit "vague" at NSL type speeds. Further investigation when stationary seemed to indicate excessive play in the steering wheel.

First thing I did was to pop the bonnet and see how the steering connected to the rack etc and moved the wheel side to side to see if the play was isolated to the column or an issue with the rack. I also checked the track rod ends as I know these are prone to wear, but alas they seemed nice and tight!? My search then took me to the steering column itself. In moving the wheel it seems that the play which is evident at the top of the column, is not the case down where you can see the column in at the footwell by the pedals. Is this normal? Are there any linkages between the top of the column at the wheel and where you can next see the column moving at the footwell?

I'm hoping someone can advise me here as it really does spoil the handling of the car and to be quite honest is probably a bit dangerous as it is. I'm hoping someone will tell me that there's things I should be checking in the column that might eradicate this problem as I definitely want to try and avoid the garage if possible.

Any tips / advice etc would be greatly appreciated! I've search for ages through the forum but haven't found any help (that I could see anyway!)

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
i think there is actually a uj under the dash.. take the panel out from under the steeringwheel and have a look up.. but i may be wrong as its been a while since i actually bothered looking and its not something ive actually taken note of before due to not needing to... 1 thing though.. the column is bolted up under the dash by 2 long bolts.. could these be loose ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
i think there is actually a uj under the dash.. take the panel out from under the steeringwheel and have a look up.. but i may be wrong as its been a while since i actually bothered looking and its not something ive actually taken note of before due to not needing to... 1 thing though.. the column is bolted up under the dash by 2 long bolts.. could these be loose ?
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at this when I get home. Would the loose bolts result in side to side play or would it affect up and down play more if you know what I mean? The play only seems to occur side to side.

Also what is a 'uj'? Apologies if I'm being dunce!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And the winner is.......Skuzzle!!

Took off the dash under the steering wheel as you suggested and found that the right bolt securing the column was not as tight as it should have been. Further investigation showed that the original bolt head seems to have snapped at some stage and a new hole has been drilled. The bolt and nut had not been tightened as well as they could have been and this seems to have caused the play.

Really appreciate your help. Would probably have been looking a while before I realised it was the bolts causing the problem.

Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.